VFW Auxiliary members have been working to meet the needs of hospitalized veterans in VA Medical Centers and other medical facilities since the organization’s inception in 1914. Auxiliary members volunteer nearly 800,000 hours annually and one in eight members volunteers through the Hospital Program.
The Hospital Program:
- Promotes volunteerism of members, non-members, youth and families in local hospitals, veterans’ homes, nursing homes, domiciliaries and both VA and non-VA medical centers and clinics. Opportunities vary based on the facility and age and abilities of the volunteer.
- Promotes Veterans Voices Writing Project
Established in 1946, Veterans’ Voices Writing Project provides a way for every veteran to express themselves by utilizing therapeutic writing to rehabilitate veterans. Therapeutic writing has been shown to help with managing Post-Traumatic Stress Disorder (PTSD) symptoms and reducing the risk of suicide. Veterans Voices Writing Project reaches an estimated 31,000 veterans every year with the writing therapy and readership of the magazine.
- Promotes Veteran and Military Suicide Awareness
Each day, an estimated 20 veterans commit suicide. You can help lower this number and make a difference in the life of a veteran or service member in crisis by educating yourself and others about the warning signs of suicide.
- The Veteran & Military Suicide Awareness Blue Teardrop Sticker is the VFW Auxiliary’s symbol to give this issue the attention it so desperately needs. Wear the teardrop to open a conversation; when asked what the teardrop is, share that it’s to create awareness for veteran and military suicide.
- The Veterans Crisis Line connects veterans in crisis and their families and friends with qualified, caring Department of Veterans Affairs responders through a confidential toll-free hotline, online chat, or text. Veterans and their loved ones can call 1-800-273-8255 and Press 1, chat online, or send a text message to 838255 to receive confidential support 24 hours a day, 7 days a week, 365 days a year. Support for deaf and hard of hearing individuals is available.