The VFW Auxiliary works to teach our nation’s youth the skills to become responsible adults through serving our country, communities, veterans and service members. We engage youth in positive volunteer experiences and believe every young person can find a place to serve that will improve their lives, as well as the lives they touch.
The Youth Activities Program:
- Sponsors and works with youth groups such as:
- Youth sports teams
- Faith-based youth groups
- After-school programs
- Youth-focused organizations
- School clubs
- Home-school associations
- Youth community service groups
- Nonprofit organization youth advisory councils
- Service learning and civic departments in high schools and colleges
- Promotes and conducts the Get Excited for the Red, White and Blue! national anthem singing contest.
- An individual singing contest for youth in grades K-12 at the time of local entry, and a U.S. citizen or U.S. national. Youth learn the words to “The Star-Spangled Banner” while expressing their creativity. The contest highlights the vocal talent of young people while promoting patriotism.
- Entry will be judged on vocal ability, mastery of lyrics, originality or interpretation and entertainment value.
- The contest consists of two grade divisions: K-8 and 9-12. There is one National winner in each grade division, with awards for first, second and third place in each grade division.
- Promotes and conducts the Illustrating America art contest.
- A patriotic art contest for elementary and middle/junior high school students that encourages students’ artistic abilities and rewards their hard work. It’s fun to see how our youth see the world through their drawings and paintings.
- The contest consists of three grade divisions: K-2, 3-5 and 6-8. There is one National winner in each grade division, with awards for first, second and third place in each grade division.
- See the first- through third-place 2020-2021 National winners in each grade division.
- Promotes Patriotism through Literacy
Introduces youth to historical figures and teaches them about events in our nation’s history while fostering a love of reading that can lead to a lifetime of learning.
- Recognizes Random Acts of Patriotism (R.A.P.)
We encourage and reward patriotism through R.A.P. If a child is seen thanking a veteran, properly placing their hand on their heart during the Pledge of Allegiance or involved in some other activity that promotes patriotism, we suggest giving them a R.A.P. card and/or coin. It’s a fun and unique way to engage children elementary age and younger!
- Recognizes youth and youth groups for their efforts and service projects honoring veterans, service members and their families. We recognize these bright young citizens for their good work to ensure these activities become a part of their daily lives.
VFW Auxiliary Members: Access Youth Activities Program Resources HERE.