The VFW Auxiliary works to teach our nation’s youth the skills to become responsible adults through serving our country, communities, veterans and service members. We engage youth in positive volunteer experiences and believe every young person can find a place to serve that will improve their lives, as well as the lives they touch.
The Youth Activities Program:
- Sponsors and works with youth groups such as:
- Youth sports teams
- Church youth groups
- After-school programs
- Youth-focused organizations
- School clubs
- Home-school associations
- Youth community service groups
- Nonprofit organization youth advisory councils
- Service learning and civic departments in high schools and colleges
- Patriotism through Literacy
Introduces youth to historical figures and teaches them about events in our nation’s history while fostering a love of reading that can lead to a lifetime of learning.
- Illustrating America
A patriotic art contest for elementary and middle/junior high school students that encourages students’ artistic abilities and rewards their hard work. It’s fun to see how our youth see the world through their drawings and paintings.
- The contest consists of three grade divisions: K-2, 3-5 and 6-8. There is one National winner in each grade division, with awards for first, second and third place in each grade division.
- Recognizes Random Acts of Patriotism (R.A.P.)
We encourage and reward patriotism through R.A.P. If a child is seen thanking a veteran, properly placing their hand on their heart during the Pledge of Allegiance or involved in some other activity that promotes patriotism, we suggest giving them a R.A.P. card and/or coin. It’s a fun and unique way to engage children elementary age and younger!
- Youth Groups Supporting Our Veterans
Youth groups can be recognized for their efforts and service projects honoring our veterans and assisting active-duty military and their families. Great traditions and citizenship start at an early age. We recognize these bright young citizens for their good work to ensure these activities become a part of their daily lives.
VFW Auxiliary Members: Access Youth Activities Program Resources HERE.