2021-2022 Youth Activities Ambassador
Patriotism through Literacy
The holiday season is fast approaching and with it brings busy times like school break, traveling and extra volunteer activities. But for some it is a quiet time to recharge. Reading or being read to is a wonderful way to pass the time. Below are a few holiday books to add to your reading list:
- “The Soldiers’ Night Before Christmas” by Christine Ford
- “Molly’s Surprise: A Christmas Story” by Valerie Tripp from the American Girl Collection
- “When Washington Crossed the Delaware” by Lynne Cheney
These stories expose students to experiences unlike their own. Books like these from the Patriotism through Literacy Suggested Book List are historical fiction or creative non-fiction. Think of donating patriotic books to libraries, schools, shelters or bookmobiles, or gifting books to children of active-duty military service members. Don’t forget to insert the Donation Label in honor of National President, Jean Hamil.
Two Youth Activities Contests
By now your Auxiliary should have begun promoting Get Excited for the Red, White and Blue! and the Illustrating America contests and have passed out the contest entry forms and contest eligibility/rules.
- Think of setting up a singing booth at a children’s holiday function at the Post. Record individual singers for the Get Excited for the Red, White and Blue! singing contest.
- At that same function, have a station available with art supplies so kids can draw their vision of America.
Don’t forget to have the contestant entry forms ready for signatures and permission.
One great thing is that the deadlines for both contests are on the same day which makes for good housekeeping.
- March 31, 2022 to local Auxiliary
- April 15, 2022 to Department (District judging is optional)
- May 5, 2022 to VFW Auxiliary National Headquarters
And that’s a Wrap!