2015-2016 National Youth Activities Ambassador
Youth Activities: Green in Spring! Ways to Involve (and Reward) Youth this Spring
The reports I have received from you prove how passionate you are and how willing our youth are to show their support to our veterans. I want to thank you for taking the youth program to new heights!
Where do I start with ideas for “youth working for our veterans” this quarter? Do, re, me, fa, sol, la, ti, do… Let’s start at the very beginning…youth enjoy showing how much they know…and earning green!
- Invite a middle or high school computer club to a VA facility or Post home to teach members all they know about smart phones, iPads, Facebook, Twitter, etc.
- Host a St. Patrick’s Day party and invite youth groups to the Post home for a movie night to reward them for a job well done.
- Keep it green!
Food ideas include:
- Keep it green!
- Green popcorn
- Green Kool-Aid
- Green eggs & ham
- Green cake
- Spinach & artichoke dip
- Green jell-o
- Green Beans
Movie examples include:
- The Big Green
- The Odd Life of Timothy Green
- Teenage Mutant Ninja Turtles
- The Incredible Hulk
- The Green Hornet
- The Green Lantern
- The Green Berets
- The Green Mile
- Invite youth to help with cleanup!
- If your Post/Auxiliary host a Lenten fish fry or other dinner, invite youth groups to wait on tables and help with cleanup. The Post/Auxiliary keeps the proceeds from the dinners and the youth group keeps any tips they earn.
- Invite Scouts to sell cookies or popcorn at your Post home.
- Invite a youth group to help plant a garden at the home of a veteran or your Post home.
There are many ways to involve youth in your activities this spring! I look forward to hearing what ideas your Auxiliary comes up with!