2015-2016 National Veterans & Family Support Ambassador
What is VFW’s National Veterans Service (NVS)?
NVS consists of a nationwide network of VFW Service Officers who are experts in dealing with the claims process and helping veterans cut through the bureaucratic red tape. They are the key to recovering earned benefits and compensation for our veterans…approximately $1 billion in earned benefits and compensation for veterans each year!!
VFW Service Officers are trained experts, helping veterans develop their case with ease by reviewing and applying current law, pertinent legislation, regulations and medical histories. As skilled professionals, they assist in filing for disability compensation, rehabilitation and education programs, pension and death benefits, and employment and training programs. Furthermore, they won’t hesitate to request hearings before the VA and the Board of Veterans Appeals to present oral arguments when needed.
VFW SERVICE OFFICER RESPONSIBILITIES INCLUDE:
- Offer research and advice to veterans who wish to handle their own claims
- Assist veterans who are filing original claims for compensation and/or pension with the Department of Veterans Affairs and complete the required VA forms on behalf of the claimant
- Assist veterans in reopening claims for service-connected disabilities and complete the required VA forms
- Follow up on status of claims filed by veterans with the VA Regional Office
- File Notice of Disagreement with the VA Regional Office if a veteran believes the decision made by the VA was incorrect
- Review statements of the case from the VA regarding denials of claim and assist veterans with the preparation of appeals for denial of claims and file the appeals with the local VA Regional Office for forwarding to the Board of Veterans Appeals in Washington D.C.
- Complete VA Forms other than for original claims
- Answer/research telephone inquiries regarding medical, death/burial and other miscellaneous benefits
VFW Service Officers are with America’s veterans every step of the way when they are ready to file a claim. This is a service the VFW is proud to offer – free of charge – to anyone seeking assistance with the claims process. They don’t have to be a member, or a relative of a member, of the VFW or Auxiliary to receive this service. To find a VFW Service Officer in your state, go to www.vfw.org under Assistance, in the dropdown choose Filing a VA Claim. There you can type in your state and it will refer you to a VFW Service Officer that can assist. It’s a service our veterans have earned and deserve!