2021-2022 National Veterans & Family Support Ambassador
VFW’S “SPORT CLIPS HELP A HERO SCHOLARSHIP”
Let’s see what is behind the inception ——-
In the early 1990s, Gordon Logan recognized the huge potential, and relative lack of competition, in the men’s and boys’ haircut market. He wanted to create a place where guys could take care of one of life’s necessities – a haircut – and say “This is my kind of place; I feel comfortable here” when they walked in the door. Gordon’s goal, and Sport Clips’ mission – to provide a “championship haircut experience in an exciting sports-themed environment” – remains the same.
Prior to founding Sport Clips, Gordon served as an Aircraft Commander in the U.S. Air Force, after which he worked as a financial planning and control consultant with Price Waterhouse & Co. in Houston, Texas. He is a graduate of MIT and The Wharton School of Business, at the University of Pennsylvania. He is also a retired CPA in the State of Texas. Gordon later owned and operated salons throughout Texas, an experience which proved to be invaluable in his journey toward creating one of the most successful haircut franchises in the nation.
Today, Sport Clips is proud to be the only national hair care franchise with locations in all 50 states in the U.S., with more than 1,850 open in the U.S. and Canada. When you ask Gordon if he knew Sport Clips would be one of the fastest-growing franchise systems today, he’ll answer you, “Yes, I just didn’t think it would take this long!”
At the heart of Sport Clips culture is our values system, which was inspired by the same core values Coach Lou Holtz used to build championship football teams: “Do Your Best. Do What’s Right. Treat Others the Way They Want to Be Treated.”
As a veteran, Gordon has made it his mission to support the military. He has received the VFW’s famed “Citizenship Award,” and since 2007, Sport Clips stores across the nation have worked together to raise nearly $9.85 Million for the VFW Foundation through our annual “Help A Hero” fundraiser, which has helped more than is providing scholarships for nearly 2,200 veterans and active duty service men and women who are transitioning to civilian careers. Sport Clips, nationally and at the local-level, is also a proud supporter of the American Red Cross Blood Services, Ageless Aviation Dreams Foundation, St. Baldrick’s Foundation, the Aleethia Foundation, Honor Flight Austin, and others.
The VFW’s “Sport Clips Help A Hero Scholarship” provides service members and veterans with the financial assistance they need to complete their educational goals without incurring excessive student loan debt. It’s just another way for us to say “thank you” to those who fought for our freedoms. The Sport Clips scholarship is the largest Student Veteran scholarship in the nation!
- Scholarships of up to $5,000 will be awarded to qualified applicants.
- Awarded scholarships are limited to one per family per semester.
- Applications for fall semester will be accepted Jan. 1 – April 30.
- Applications for spring semester will be accepted Aug. 1 – Nov. 15.
- Fall semester scholarships will be awarded in August, and spring semester scholarships will be awarded in January.
- Scholarships must be used by the end of the school semester for which the veteran is applying, or they will become null and void.
- Scholarships are restricted for tuition and fees only and will be paid directly to accredited schools.
Eligible Applicants Must:
- Be a citizen of the United States.
- Be retired, honorably discharged, active duty, or a member of the National Guard or Reserve.
- Have completed Basic Training and follow-on training (Advanced Individual Training, technical school, etc.).
- Separated with or currently hold a military rank of E-5 or below.
- Demonstrate a need for financial assistance.
- Participate in, be accepted to, or currently enrolled in a VA-approved program or school at an accredited post-secondary institution.
Auxiliaries can coordinate with Student Veterans of America to further the word about this VFW Sport Clips Help A Hero Scholarship.
Who and what is the Student Veterans of America (SVA)?
Who We Are
Student Veterans of America (SVA) is the premier organization leading service, research, programs, and advocacy for veterans in higher education.
Empowering student veterans to lead and live their best lives.
Act as a catalyst for student veteran success by providing resources, network support and advocacy to, through, and beyond higher education.
Through a dedicated network of more than 1,500 on-campus chapters in all 50 states and three countries overseas representing more than 750,000 student veterans, SVA inspires yesterday’s warriors by connecting student veterans with a community of dedicated chapter leaders. Every day these passionate leaders work to provide the necessary resources, network support, and advocacy to ensure student veterans can effectively connect, expand their skills, and ultimately achieve their greatest potential.