2019-2020 National Veterans & Family Support Ambassador
Veterans & Family Support: This Program is the heart of our organization. It’s for the entire family, not just the veteran. We are reminded of that when we take our obligation. Many of our veterans and active-duty service members suffer in silence, and their families suffer along with them. Many families are affected by war and face numerous challenges living day to day. This Program helps provide the resources, materials and support for these families.
The components of the Veterans & Family Support Program are:
- VFW National Veterans Service (NVS)
- VFW Veterans & Military Support Programs
It can be challenging to get the word out about all the wonderful programs we offer that support our veterans and their families. Some ideas to spread the word include:
- Share information on your social media accounts, i.e. Facebook, Instagram and Twitter
- Host a job fair at your Post or a community center. Many veterans are looking for jobs to help support their families. Ask local businesses and workforce centers to attend the job fair and talk with veterans in your area about available jobs. You many also encourage veterans and their family members to apply for open positions at local VA medical facility.
- If you or someone you know volunteer at a food pantry and/or homeless shelter, ask to speak with veterans and learn what their needs are. Refer them to local resources that can offer assistance.
- Plan now for a winter coat drive and discuss collecting other items needed during the winter months such as blankets, gloves, hats, socks and warm clothing for veterans and their family members. You may be able to donate the items to a VA medical facility, homeless shelter or directly to a family.
- When you speak to veterans and their families in need, remain positive, treat them with respect and smile. Kindness goes a long way in warming the heat of someone in need.
Be informed and stay up to date on programs that offer assistance to our veteran and their families. Details may have changed since you last ordered and/or printed materials. Make sure you have the most up-to-date information on all programs within the Veterans & Family Support Program. Information and resources can be found at www.vfwauxiliary.org/resources.
There are so many opportunities to help veterans and their families this year. Work with your members to continue educating them and the community. All members are encouraged to become familiar with the areas within the Veterans & Family Support Program and be able to direct a veterans and/or his/her family in need of services. Let’s do everything we can to put “our boots on the ground” in supporting our veterans and their families because they are our priority!
A HUGE “thank you” goes out to every member for your hard work and dedication to serving our veterans, active-duty military and their families. Each act, no matter how big or small, makes the difference in the lives of others and I hope you will continue to carry on this most important mission of the VFW Auxiliary.