2017-2018 National Veterans & Family Support Ambassador
Our journey is onward as Spring dreams begin to sprout “Buddy”® Poppies! Auxiliary Leprechauns will be sprinkling their magic in planning and scheduling “Buddy”® Poppy events throughout the Spring season.
Let’s review the key points to the “Buddy”® Poppy Program:
- Since 1922, the official VFW memorial flower
- Every day can be a “Buddy”® Poppy Day
- Wear a “Buddy”® Poppy to educate, promote, publicize
- Maintain a “Buddy”® Poppy Kit
- All money contributed by the public for “Buddy”® Poppies is for welfare of veterans and their families (Relief Fund)
- “Buddy”® Poppies are distributed and are not for sale
What is a “Buddy”® Poppy Kit and how does it help educate, promote and publicize the “Buddy”® Poppy?
A “Buddy”® Poppy Kit is as simple as a gallon size plastic bag, large plastic container, etc. that can hold your poppies as well as information and ideas regarding the “Buddy”® Poppy. Listed below are examples as it pertains to education, promotion, and communication of the “Buddy”® Poppy.
- Keep several copies of the VFW’s The Story of the “Buddy”® Poppy brochure which can be utilized as a teaching tool to schools, clubs, and youth organizations when explaining the memorial flower.
- Wrap/tie a “Buddy”® Poppy to a patriotic pencil or pen to share with our youth during your education session.
- Purchase bookmarks from the VFW Store with the “In Flanders’ Fields” poem to share with guests at a dinner, an Auxiliary meeting, or a celebration such as Loyalty Day, Memorial Day or Veterans Day.
- Add a “Buddy”® Poppy to a corsage/boutonniere for the guest of honor at a celebration/ceremony.
- Add a “Buddy”® Poppy to a holiday treat bags during the year.
- Add a “Buddy”® Poppy to a candy cane as a holiday decoration or as a holiday treat.
- Add a “Buddy”® Poppy to a Thinking of You/Get Well card to our veterans and Auxiliary members.
- Have you thought about utilizing the youth as Poppy Princesses and Princes for parades, celebrations, and distribution events?
- Wear a “Buddy”® Poppy every day as an outward sign promoting our memorial flower – people will ask you why are you wearing the “Buddy”® Poppy.
- Get the word out by submitting a press release for your “Buddy”® Poppy event(s) through the local newspaper, email friends/family/Auxiliary and Post members, add to the Auxiliary/Post website, announce on the Auxiliary/Post Facebook page, Instagram, Twitter, Snapchat, etc.
- With permission, provide posters to community bulletin boards, local stores, libraries – identify/pinpoint high traffic visibility.
- Most importantly – Always wear a smile and say “thank you!”
VFW National Home for Children Reminders
- In March, the VFW National Home for Children will celebrate its 93rd anniversary. As an Auxiliary, help celebrate this birthday by sending a donation to help support the “Safety and Security Fund.” No donation is too small to help keep our families at the VFW National Home safe.
- Has your Auxiliary sent in a donation to the “Health & Happiness Fund?” Your Auxiliary donation of 10 cents per member as of June 30, 2017, would be very much appreciated. Donations can be made online through MALTA or Auxiliary checks can be sent to the following address:
VFW Auxiliary National Headquarters
Attn: Health & Happiness
406 W. 34th Street, 10th Floor
Kansas City, MO 64111
As we Catch the Dream for Our Veterans, I thank you for all the extraordinary simple acts of kindness you perform each day to support our veterans, our service members, and their families.
An Irish thought to share for your St. Patrick’s celebrations: “May your troubles be less and your blessings be more. And nothing but happiness come through your door.” – Author Unknown