2017-2018 National Veterans & Family Support Ambassador
Spirit 365 and “Buddy”® Poppy FAQ
As Auxiliary members, we embrace the “spirit of giving,” especially during the holiday season. However, the need is just not during this time of year, but all year through. Therefore, let us join together in having “Spirit 365” to continue the act of selfless giving to our veterans, their families, and our communities throughout the entire year.
Twelve simple gifts for our heroes and their families
- Organize a holiday homecoming or party for our troops.
- Send a greeting card to a veteran(s) in a nursing home, hospital or other medical facility.
- Ask local youth to perform (music, dance, skits, etc.) at a nursing home, hospital or other medical facility.
- Schedule a visit with a homebound and/or infirmed veteran(s).
- Share the gift of a skill by repairing an item, changing light bulbs, painting a room, etc. for a disabled or elderly veteran or their family.
- De-clutter your house and deliver those unwanted (but useable!) items to a local thrift store.
- Collect blankets to be donated to a homeless shelter.
- Wrap a pair of children’s mittens/gloves around a can of soup and donate it to an elementary school food pantry.
- Fill baskets with non-perishable food items for a family in need.
- Give your mail carrier, package delivery driver and garbage collector a cup of hot coffee or hot cocoa (or share some cool refreshment on warm sunny days!)
- Send a postcard from your hometown to the VFW National Home for Children with a holiday greeting.
- Add a “Buddy”® Poppy to a holiday greeting card, gift, floral arrangement or holiday decoration.
Thank you for your generosity by providing care, comfort and charity with simple acts of kindness.
“Buddy”® Poppy FAQ
Q1. Who can order “Buddy”® Poppies and how can they be ordered?
A1. An Auxiliary may order “Buddy”® Poppies directly from their Department Quartermaster. Auxiliaries do not have to order “Buddy”® Poppies through their Post.
Q2. What happens to the funds from the purchase of the poppies through each Department?
A2. The VFW “Buddy”® Poppy program provides compensation to the veterans who assemble the poppies, provides financial assistance in maintaining state and national veterans’ rehabilitation and service programs and partially supports the VFW National Home For Children.
Q3. In what account should the funds be deposited from the distribution of “Buddy”® Poppies?
A3. All proceeds received from the distribution of “Buddy”® Poppies are to be deposited into the Auxiliary Relief Fund. The Relief Fund should be incorporated into the General Account.
Q4. What can money in the Relief Fund be used for?
A4. The Relief Fund shall be restricted and expended solely for these purposes listed below. See page 18 in the Booklet of Instructions, 2018 VFW Auxiliary Podium Edition for a copy of the information below.
- Aid to Auxiliary members needing financial assistance. (Note: This includes the payment of dues for a member who may have financial need).
- To meet all obligations or to send monetary gifts to the VFW National Home for Children. i.e.: VFW National Home for Children, Health & Happiness.
- Hospital work for all veterans, members of the Armed Forces, Auxiliary Members and their family members.
- Veterans and Family Support work for all veterans, members of the Armed Forces, Auxiliary members and their families.
- National Auxiliary Cancer Aid & Research Fund.
- Special purposes authorized by National Headquarters.
- To perpetuate the memory of deceased veterans and members of the Armed Forces to comfort their survivors.
- To foster true patriotism through historical and educational programs.
All other expenditures shall come from the General Fund.
Thank you for all the simple acts of kindness you do each day to support our veterans, our military and their families so that they can Catch the Dream for Our Veterans. I would like to extend to all members a festive holiday season filled with family and friends.