2020-2021 National Veterans & Family Support Ambassador
National Family Caregivers Month
November is National Family Caregivers Month. Sponsored by the Caregiver Action Network, it’s a time to recognize, support and empower those who care for a family member in need. These individuals work tirelessly to provide care in a variety of ways, including financial, emotional and medical support. This month is a great time to provide support to those who care for others. Here are some ideas for gifts and services to let them know you care.
- Prepare a package of bath salts, oils and lotions with a card of appreciation and a reminder to care for themselves.
- Send an aromatherapy diffuser and essential oil. Lavender is great at promoting sleep, while rose is great for relaxation.
- Give them a break by making and delivering a home-cooked meal.
- Offer to take over the caregiver’s duties for a short period, or offer to come by and assist them. Sometimes a few of hours of help can make all the difference.
- Create a gift basket or purchase a gift of the month subscription for them. Send cheese and crackers, cookies and other sweet treats paired with some wine or beer; this can lift their spirits.
- Offer to help them decorate for Thanksgiving and/or Christmas. This can bring joy to their holiday experience.
- Connect by phone, text or email. Let them know you are there to help and/or listen.
- Mail a card; send flowers or a gift card to their favorite store/restaurant.
- Host a dinner or luncheon in their honor.
Combating Food Insecurity
November is also the beginning of the holiday season; it’s a time to get together with family and friends and give thanks for what we have. For some, this is the hardest time of all. They don’t feel like there is much in their life to celebrate and/or they don’t have the financial means to provide holiday meals for their family.
We have many military families who have a hard time feeding their families; the additional financial stress of the holidays makes it worse. This is the time to embrace the National President’s Special Project: Stars, Stripes and Support. By supporting this project, you can provide aid to these military families.
Donate by mail by sending funds to the VFW Foundation earmarked for Unmet Needs – Hunger. Mail check to:
VFW National Headquarters
Attn: VFW Foundation
406 W. 34th Street, 9th Floor
Kansas City, MO 64111
This project is a way to give back to those who gave for us, both the veteran and the family of the veteran. As Auxiliary members, let us step up and provide assistance to help combat food insecurity this year.
I am amazed at how our members across the country help brighten the lives of our veterans, service members and their families. Thank you for all you do!