2018-2019 National Veterans & Family Support Ambassador
Military Assistance Program (MAP)
The VFW Military Assistance Program has sponsored events supporting more than 2 million service members and their families since 2005. This program contains the resources we need to reach out to the military community in our neighborhoods and hometowns, offering our support and assistance to service members around the world. The Military Assistance Program (MAP) consists of two unique services designed to help nurture the relationship with our service members: Military Assistance Program Grant and Adopt-A-Unit program.
MAP Grants are funds granted by the VFW to be used to conduct a program for service members and their families. These grants are frequently used for events that are held for adopted units. MAP Grant applications must be signed and dated by the VFW Post Commander and Quartermaster OR the VFW Auxiliary President and Treasurer, and all information on the application should be complete and accurate to avoid delays in processing.
MAP Grant Details:
- Your VFW Post Commander or Quartermaster should login and get the grant application from vfw.org.
- The grant is limited to basic food items and non-alcoholic beverages for currently serving military and their family members only.
- Applications must be submitted no later than 14 days prior to the event.
- An After Action Report along with eligible receipts must be submitted within 30 days of the event.
- MAP Grant applications may be submitted using any one of the following:
- Email: email@example.com
- Fax: 814-968-2779
- Mail to: VFW National Headquarters
406 W. 34th Street, Suite 902
Kansas City, MO 64111
- A VFW Post, VFW Auxiliary or a combination of both may adopt a unit.
- Contact your local National Guard, Reserve and Active Duty units or access the “Find a Unit Flyer” available at http://www.vfw.org/troopsupport/ to find a unit to adopt.
- Submit an Adopt-A-Unit Application to the MAP Office. The form is located on the VFW website at http://www.vfw.org/troopsupport/.
- Plan any one of the following activities: welcome home/deployment events, yellow ribbon events, family day, dinners/picnics/barbeques, holiday parties, meetings/briefings and/or funeral/memorial services.
- Submit a minimum of one (1) Adopt-A-Unit Activity Report annually per adopted unit.
I BELIEVE – WE CAN DO IT! We will continue our support of and assistance to our service members and their families by being their “go-to” group before, during and after deployment. Share with them the same compassion, camaraderie and loyalty that you share with our Post comrades and Auxiliary brothers and sisters.