2018-2019 National Veterans & Family Support Ambassador
Five Ways to Make the Holiday Season Merry and Bright
As we come to the close of an outstanding year, it is a great time to sit back, take a look at all of the wonderful things we have accomplished, take some time to brag a bit and to make plans for goals to accomplish in the new year.
I believed that we could accomplish big goals and make huge differences in the lives of veterans and their families this year and you have worked very hard to make this happen. I believe that we are thankful for each and every veteran and individual serving our county and for the many sacrifices, services and duties performed by these brave American heroes on our behalf. And I believe that we rejoice, each and every day, for the many blessings we receive as citizens of the greatest nation in the world.
As we renew our spirit of thanksgiving, hope and new beginnings for the start of another fantastic VFW Auxiliary year, let us remember those who will not be home for Christmas – or throughout the holiday season – and let us endeavor to provide some joy to make their days a little merrier and a little brighter. Some ideas include:
- Send Care Packages to deployed service members.
- Holiday and Christmas events for the families of those deployed, working with Family Readiness Groups, can help these families as they share time with others missing family members during this time.
- Gifts of anything from meals to conversation and companionship can be given to those who could use a helping hand during these joyful occasions.
- Thank You coins given and Resource Rack Cards posted can be that one small gesture that makes a huge difference in the life of those who give and have given so much for us.
- Operation Uplink Virtual Pins sent to those deployed or given to those in hospitals allows 100 minutes of talk time with family members, especially during the Christmas season.
Together, we can list and recognize the accomplishments of our Auxiliary this year, we can be thankful that we were there when someone needed us and we can rejoice that no one does more for veterans than the VFW and VFW Auxiliary. We can work on setting new goals for 2019 and plan ways to kick-off those projects as the New Year begins.
Veterans & Family Support programs and activities are those that brighten the days and lives of our veterans, their families and our active-duty service members. Our efforts provide the encouragement, assistance, reassurance and hope for many of those who have worn the uniforms of our armed services.
I am proud of everything that we have done in 2018 and I am excited to plan and carry out all of the fantastic things that we will accomplish in 2019! I KNOW we have done great things. I am THANKFUL for each and every one of you and your assistance in reaching our goals. I REJOICE with you in celebration of the many goals we have reached and I BELIEVE – WE CAN DO IT! We will continue our support and assistance to our service members, veterans and their families, today, tomorrow and forever.
Thank you very much for everything that you do for our men and women in harm’s way, the men and women who have served our nation and their loved ones this year. Together, we will make bigger, better and brighter things happen in 2019.