2016-2017 National Veterans & Family Support Ambassador
Veterans & Family Support: It’s for the Entire Family, not Just the Veteran
As the program states, Veterans & Family Support is for the entire family, not just the veteran. Many families are affected by war and face numerous challenges living day to day. This program helps provide the resources, materials and support for these families.
The components of the Veterans & Family Support Program are:
- VFW National Veterans Service
- VFW Veterans & Military Support Programs
- VFW Sports Clips Help a Hero Scholarship Program
- Unmet Needs
- Operation Uplink™
- Military Assistance Program (MAP)
- “Buddy”® Poppy
- VFW National Home for Children
It can be challenging to get the word out about all the wonderful programs we offer that support veterans and their families. Some ideas to spread the word include:
- Share information on your social media accounts, i.e. Facebook, Instagram and Twitter
- Host an information session at your Post Home
- Invite families to have lunch or dinner and have presentations on the Veterans & Family Support Programs and tell them about resources available to them
- Talk to your schools and see if you can use the cafeteria or gym for an information session
- Post information at coffee shops, health clubs, community centers, Boys & Girls Clubs, and ask if you can post information at grocery stores, etc.
- Host a booth at local expo events. County and state fairs, wellness fairs, safety fairs, back to school events, etc., are all great places to get the information to those who need it.
When providing information, please make sure it’s the correct information. Details may have changed since you last ordered and/or printed materials. Make sure you have the most up-to-date information on all programs within the Veterans & Family Support program. Information and resources can be found at vfw.org, vfwstore.org and vfwauxiliary.org behind Member Login.
There are so many opportunities to help veterans and their families this year. Work with your members to continue educating them and the community. All members are encouraged to become familiar with the areas within the program and be able to direct a veteran and/or family in need of services. Let’s do everything we can to support veterans and their families and let them know they are our priority!
Remember, we have “Unwavering Support for Uncommon Heroes™.”