2017-2018 National Veterans & Family Support Ambassador
A Challenge and A Scholarship
“Buddy”® Poppy Challenge
During the Programs Seminar at National Convention in New Orleans, I challenged each Department to share the many creative ways we can utilize the “Buddy”® Poppy. These ideas will be shared with the entire membership at a later date. I have three ideas to share with you today:
- Attach poppies to your dog’s collar. When you take them for a walk, you can distribute poppies to everyone you meet!
- Add a “Buddy”® Poppy to a greeting card to an Auxiliary and/or Post member.
- Wrap a “Buddy”® Poppy around a candy cane to add decoration a Christmas tree.
I look forward to hearing (and seeing!) the creative ways the “Buddy”® Poppy is used throughout the country.
“Sport Clips Help A Hero Scholarship”
We are all familiar with the scholarships the VFW and Auxiliary offer our nation’s youth, but are you aware the VFW offers a scholarship just for service members and veterans?
The VFW’s “Sport Clips Help A Hero Scholarship” provides service members and veterans with the financial assistance they need to complete their educational goals without incurring excessive student loan debt.
- Scholarships of up to $5,000 will be awarded to qualified applicants.
- Awarded scholarships are limited to one per family per semester.
- Applications for the Fall semester will be accepted January 1 through April 30.
- Applications for the Spring semester will be accepted August 1 through November 15.
- Fall semester scholarships will be awarded in August, and Spring semester scholarships will be awarded in January.
- Scholarships must be used by the end of the school semester for which the veteran is applying or they will become null and void.
- Scholarships are restricted for tuition and fees only and will be paid directly to accredited schools.
Eligible Applicants Must:
- Be a citizen of the United States.
- Be retired, honorably discharged, active duty, or a member of the National Guard or Reserve.
- Have completed Basic Training and follow-on training (Advanced Individual Training, technical school, etc.).
- Separated with or currently hold a military rank of E-5 or below.
- Demonstrate a need for financial assistance.
- Participate in, be accepted to or currently enrolled in a VA-approved program or school at an accredited post-secondary institution.
The application deadline for the Spring 2018 semester is November 15, 2017. The scholarship application can be accessed here or by visiting vfw.org, selecting Assistance, Student Veteran Support and clicking on the Apply Here button.
Thank you for all the simple acts of kindness done each day to support our veterans, our military and their families so that they can “Catch the Dream for Our Veterans.”