2015-2016 National Veterans & Family Support Ambassador
Veterans & Family Support: All About the Military Assistance Program (MAP)
Every day the VFW and VFW Auxiliary are supporting our troops around the world. Our members offer support in so many ways:
- Sending care packages to deployed troops
- Hosting send-off and welcome-home events
- Assisting military families get through long deployments
- And the list goes on and on.
We know how important troop support is because all of our members have been there. This is why the VFW Military Assistance Program (MAP) was created. It is the outstretched hand between the VFW and the local military, offering support around the world. Since 2005, MAP has sponsored events supporting more than 1.8 million service members and their families.
A large part of MAP is the Adopt-a-Unit program. Through Adopt-a-Unit, VFW Posts and Auxiliaries adopt hundreds of military units around the world. The goal of this program is to develop supportive relationships with units before, during and after deployments to help deliver the vast network of resources the VFW has available to the military.
Here is some basic information about Adopt-a-Unit and how to get the funds you may need to do this great work:
Who can Adopt-a-Unit?
- VFW Posts
- VFW Auxiliaries
- Joint effort of both organizations
Why should you Adopt-a-Unit?
- To support your local military members & families
- To help connect military members with the network of resources the VFW has available
- To help you recruit new members
How do you find a military unit to adopt?
- Contact your local National Guard, Reserve and Active Duty units
- Access the “Find a Unit Flyer” which is available at www.vfw.org/troopsupport
- Speak with other VFW Posts & Veterans Service Organizations who may have information
- Contact a local Family Readiness Group
When should you Adopt-a-Unit?
- There’s no time like the present! Our military members & families need you now more than ever. Your assistance is important whether they are home or deployed overseas.
Where to get answers to Adopt-a-Unit questions?
- Call the Military Assistance Program office at 816-756-3390 or email at email@example.com
How can you apply to Adopt-a-Unit?
- Submit an Adopt-a-Unit Application to the MAP Office. Find the form online at www.vfw.org/troopsupport.
What’s a MAP grant?
- It’s financial assistance given to a VFW Post or Auxiliary for troop support activities to build relationships and provide information to their local military about VFW programs and services.
Who can apply for a MAP grant?
- VFW Departments, Post and Auxiliaries that desire to support their local military.
What kind of events can MAP Grant funds be used for?
- Common events include, but are not limited to:
- Family Days
- Welcome Home and Deployment Ceremonies
- Holidays Events
Where do I get a MAP Grant Application?
- MAP Grant applications can be found behind member login on the VFW website at www.vfw.org or on the VFW Auxiliary website here: http://www.vfwauxiliary.org/wp-content/uploads/2016/01/MAP-Grant-Application.pdf
- Download the MAP Grant Information Packet and Application here: http://www.vfwauxiliary.org/wp-content/uploads/2016/01/MAP-Grant-Packet-Nov-2015.pdf
- Read the MAP Grant FAQ here: http://www.vfw.org/uploadedFiles/VFW.org/Community/MAPGrantFAQ.pdf
- Read the MAP Grant Guidelines here: http://www.vfw.org/uploadedFiles/VFW.org/Community/MAPGrantGuidelines.pdf