2016-2017 National Scholarships Ambassador
Patriotic Art Contest
Artwork is being judged at the Department level and once judging is complete, it should be received at VFW Auxiliary National Headquarters no later than May 5, 2017.
Only the first-place Department winner is eligible for the national competition. Will the entry from your Auxiliary have this year’s winning piece? We’ll find out at National Convention in New Orleans!
For the first time ever, the Department winners will be judged at National Convention. All the art work will be on display for all convention attendees to enjoy.
National winners will receive the following National awards:
- First Place: $10,000 scholarship
- Second Place: $5,000 scholarship
- Third Place: $2,500 scholarship
- Fourth Place: $1,500 scholarship
- Fifth through Eighth Place: $500 scholarship
If you have not done so, now would be a great time to plan events to recognize and thank youth who have participated in VFW and Auxiliary scholarship contests this year and acknowledge their talents and patriotism. Don’t forget to thank their parents and teachers as they are the ones who are creating these great future leaders!
For students who did not receive first place (and are eligible), encourage them to participate again next year. Be sure to take advantage of the opportunity to recruit those who are eligible to join our organization.
In addition to awards banquets and certificates, several ways to honor students and thank them for participating in our scholarship contests include
- Thank them publicly. Take a photo of the student with their essay/artwork/etc., send it to your local paper and post it on social media. (Please receive permission from the student(s) and their parent(s) before doing so.)
- Give them a gift. It doesn’t have to be big or expensive. Gift cards to gas stations, fast food restaurants and/or baked goods are sure to please any teen.
- Present them with your state plant and/or flowers.
- The VFW Store has a wide variety of items to choose from, too.
However you choose to thank them, don’t forget to write a thank-you note!
We have had wonderful year promoting the following scholarship contests: Continuing Education, Young American Creative Patriotic Art, Voice of Democracy and Patriot’s Pen. You have all done such an amazing job being part of the process of developing our youth into patriotic citizens.
Many of you have asked why the Auxiliary isn’t included in the judging process for the Voice of Democracy and Patriot’s Pen contests. Please be aware these are VFW-sponsored contests and the Auxiliary assists and supports the Post.