2016-2017 National Scholarships Ambassador
Support our Scholarship Programs
The VFW needs support with the Voice of Democracy and Patriot’s Pen contests, and history has shown that the Auxiliary has been very instrumental in making each of the scholarship contests a success. Supporting our VFW is key to the success of the Scholarship Program.
Voice of Democracy and Patriot’s Pen Deadlines
By now everyone should have received their entries for the Voice of Democracy and Patriot’s Pen AND have completed their VFW Post judging.
Our next deadline will be here soon, so please make sure to get your winners off to the VFW District judging. DISTRICT Judging needs to be completed by December 15.
NOTE: Final Judging Completion Deadlines
- January 10: VFW Department Judging Complete
- January 15: VFW Department Winners to VFW National Headquarters*
* required deadlines
Young American Creative Patriotic Art Contest Deadline
Each year, more than 3,500 high school students from across the country participate in the VFW Auxiliary’s Young American Creative Patriotic Art Contest. The contest began in 1979 to recognize up-and-coming artists and encourage patriotism in youth. The Young American Creative Patriotic Art Contest is open to students in grades 9-12 and the first-place winner from each Department competes for national awards totaling $21,000. Learn more here: https://vfwauxiliary.org/scholarships/young-american-creative-patriotic-art-contest/
What are the Scholarship Deadlines?
- March 31: Student Entry Deadline to VFW Auxiliary*
- April 10: VFW Auxiliary and District Judging Complete
- April 15: VFW Auxiliary and District Winners to Department for Judging*
- May 5: VFW Auxiliary Department Winners to VFW Auxiliary National Headquarters*
* required deadlines
Important things to remember:
- Students must complete the entry form and attach to back of entry.
- Students must be sponsored by a VFW Auxiliary.
- Entry may be signed by the student.
- Package art so that it can be mailed without being damaged.
- If the American Flag in used in the entry, it must conform to the Federal Flag Code as far as color, number of stars and stripes, and other pertinent rules of the code.
- Entry must have been done during the current school year – note that the entry must have they teacher’s or supervisory adult’s signature. Each student may submit only one entry.
Continue to actively participant with the VFW and assist in any way, especially in getting the information out to others in the organization and throughout their communities.
Happy Thanksgiving to all of you. Enjoy this time with your family and friends while remembering and giving thanks to our veterans who served and are currently serving.