2016-2017 National Scholarships Ambassador
IMPORTANT DEADLINES ARE FAST APPROACHING
November 1, 2016 is the submission deadline to VFW Posts for both the Patriot’s Pen and Voice of Democracy scholarship competitions. There are no exceptions, so please remind students, parents and educators of this important date. We do not want a young person’s work to be disqualified because they missed the deadline.
VOICE OF DEMOCRACY: The 2016-2017 theme is “MY RESPONSIBILITY TO AMERICA”
Students should record their reading of the draft to an audio CD or flash drive. The recording can be no shorter than three (3) minutes and no longer than five (5) minutes (plus or minus five seconds).
Entries begin at the Post level. Once the student creates their essay and completes burning the audio version to an audio CD or flash drive, they can submit their typed version, audio CD or flash drive and the Voice of Democracy entry form to their local participating VFW Post by the November 1 deadline.
- Originality is worth 30 points: Treatment of the theme should show imagination and human interest.
- Content is worth 35 points: Clearly express your ideas in an organized manner. Fully develop your theme and use transitions to move smoothly from one idea to the other.
- Delivery is worth 35 points: Speak in a clear and credible manner.
PATRIOT’S PEN: The 2016-2017 theme is “THE AMERICA I BELIEVE IN”
Students can ask a teacher or youth group leader to supervise their progress in the competition. Then students can contact a local participating VFW Post and establish a contact person who is a member of that Post or its Auxiliary.
Essays must be no less than 300 words and cannot exceed 400 words. They should be submitted to the Post, along with the completed Patriot’s Pen entry form no later than the November 1 deadline.
- Knowledge of the theme is worth 30 points. You must show a thorough knowledge of the theme in your work. Demonstrate you have researched the issue extensively.
- Theme development is worth 35 points. Answer all relevant facts about the theme such as the who, what, where, when and why. Relate the theme to your own experiences.
- Clarity of ideas is worth 35 points. Write your essay in an easy-to-understand format. Leave your reader with a clear understanding of your explanation of the theme.
NOTE: You can download applications and brochures from the website here: https://vfwauxiliary.org/scholarships/