2015-2016 National Scholarships Ambassador
Scholarships: Do It Now!
The program year is drawing to a close for our scholarship contests. The deadline for entry of the Young American Creative Patriotic Art Contest is less than two weeks away! Have you followed up with the students you’ve contacted about entering this scholarship contest? If not, DO IT NOW! Art is due to local VFW Auxiliaries by March 31st!
- Please be sure you have the full contact information (phone number, e-mail address and mailing address) for each student entering the Young American Creative Patriotic Art to enable you to return the artwork if it does not make it any higher than Department judging.
- If a teacher is the one submitting the artwork, their personal full contact information (phone number, e-mail address and mailing address), since by the time the artwork is returned, the students might already be out of school for the year.
- Unless the student has said you can keep their artwork for display, possibly in your post home, the entries are to go back to them.
- Provide the student with YOUR full contact information (phone number, e-mail address and mailing address) so they will know who to contact to get their artwork returned.
GET TO IT!
- If you have not yet held an event to recognize your Scholarships award winners, DO IT NOW!
- If you have not yet sent an article to your local newspaper about your Scholarships award winners, DO IT NOW!
BE SURE YOU GET THE CREDIT!
Report how many VFW Auxiliary members helped with, and how much time was spent on all of our scholarships contests (Continuing Education, Young American Creative Patriotic Art Contest, Patriot’s Pen and Voice of Democracy), including:
- Distribution of brochures
- Selection of judges
- Setting up for judging
- Sharing information on social media
- Publicizing scholarship contests in the media (i.e. press releases to local papers, etc.)
- Hosting or helping with a scholarship awards ceremony or recognition event
It is extremely important to report your Auxiliary’s efforts to your Department’s Scholarship Chairman. Be sure you and your Auxiliary get the credit for the great work you do! Remember, every member, every hour and every dollar reported rolls up to information for next year’s VFW Auxiliary Fact Sheet that shows what great work this organization does. Your report matters. DO IT NOW!
PATRIOT’S PEN SCHOLARSHIP FUND REMINDER
Please remember to consider donations for the Patriot’s Pen Scholarship Fund. In the 2014-2015 year, the VFW awarded $46,000 in National Scholarship funds to 46 of 54 Department winners. In the 2015-2016 year, the VFW awarded $50,500 in National Scholarship funds to all 54 Department winners. Voluntary donations of any amount to help fully fund scholarships for all future Department winners can be sent to the VFW earmarked Patriot’s Pen Scholarships contribution. Donations to this fund should be reported to the Department Chairman as participation even if your VFW Auxiliary did not work the Patriot’s Pen Scholarship or receive an entry.
FUTURE LEADERS OF AMERICA
On a personal note, I want to let all of you know the Voice of Democracy Department winners are an outstanding group of young men and women. The five days I spent with them in Washington, D.C. was an experience of a lifetime. We all learned so much about our nation’s history at numerous museums, War Memorials and the Capitol. The 54 students were inquisitive, observant and energized. It was wonderful to see so much pride and patriotism in young people. There are many future leaders of our country in that group!