2021-2022 National Scholarships Ambassador
Scholarship Details and Deadlines
Here we are in October, the leaves are turning and there is a crisp snap in the air – well, at least it’s happening in the state of Maine!
The deadline for VFW Youth Scholarships is October 31, 2021, and it’s fast approaching.
- The Voice of Democracy Audio-Essay Contest is open to all students, including home-schooled students, in grades 9-12. The National first-place winner will receive a $30,000 scholarship.
- The Patriot’s Pen Essay Contest is open to all students, including home-schooled students, in grades 6-8. The National first-place winner will receive $5,000.
VFW Youth Scholarships provide wonderful opportunities; however, we must promote the scholarships to youth and their families to create awareness. Please make your best effort to help your VFW Post reach out to students.
Remember, our work doesn’t end on October 31. We still have two more scholarships to go. The Auxiliary offers two scholarships:
- The Continuing Education Scholarship is open to any VFW Auxiliary member, his/her spouse, son or daughter with a financial need. Entrant must be at least 18 years old. One scholarship will be chosen for each of the four Auxiliary Conferences.
The Auxiliary member must be living and in good standing for one year by the application deadline. Previous National Continuing Education Scholarship winners are not eligible.
Entry deadline to Auxiliary National Headquarters is midnight, February 15, 2022.
- The Young American Creative Patriotic Art Contest is open to all students, including home-schooled students, in grades 9-12. The National first-place winner will receive a $15,000 scholarship.
Entry deadline to your local Auxiliary is midnight on March 31, 2022.
To help get the word out about scholarships:
- Pass out flyers at your hometown fall festival and Veterans Day parades.
- Hand out flyers at your local school sports events.
- Post fun, informational posters on your community Facebook page.
- Ask local schools if you may display posters and/or provide information including contact names.
- Include information in your monthly General Orders and newsletters.
- Ask your VFW Post if you may present details about scholarships at their next meeting.
Fund the Future
In addition to promoting our scholarships, now is the perfect time to showcase our National President Jean Hamil’s Special Project, Fund the Future. This project’s goal is to grow our scholarship funds and award more scholarships to more students.
Members may donate individually using the “Make a Gift” option in MALTA, or you may mail a check to National Headquarters earmarked as either Patriotic Art or Continuing Education.
Donations can also be contributed by your Auxiliary, District or Department.
Get EXCITED to support Auxiliary scholarships! No matter what amount is donated, it will help provide more scholarships for the Continuing Education Scholarship or the Young American Creative Patriotic Art Contest. You are making a difference no matter how much you’re able to contribute. Should you have questions about how to donate to the Continuing Education or Patriotic Art Funds, please call National Headquarters at 816-561-8655 or send an email to firstname.lastname@example.org.
Please remember to stay EXCITED and keep sharing your ideas and successes with me!