2019-2020 National Mentoring for Leadership Ambassador
Eight Gifts that do not Cost One Cent
Are you looking for a positive way to connect with fellow members? Are you looking for a positive way to reinforce how mentoring provides growth and understanding? Are you looking for a positive way to say thank you? With the holiday season upon us, take the opportunity to share a gift and mentoring moment that do not cost even one cent.
- The Gift of Listening
You must really Do not interrupt, daydream, or plan your response – just listen.
- The Gift of Affection
Be generous with appropriate hugs, kisses, pats on the back and handholds. Let these small actions demonstrate the love you have for family and friends.
- The Gift of Laughter
Clip cartoons. Share articles and funny stories. Your gift will say, “I love to laugh with you.”
- The Gift of a Written Note
A brief, handwritten note may be remembered for a lifetime, and may even change a life.
- The Gift of a Compliment
A simple and sincere, “You look great in red,” “You did a super job,” or “That was a wonderful meal” can make someone’s day.
- The Gift of a Favor
Every day, go out of your way to do something kind.
- The Gift of Solitude
There are times when we want nothing more than to be alone. Be sensitive to those times and give the gift of solitude to others.
- The Gift of a Cheerful Disposition
The easiest way to feel good is to extend a kind word to someone by saying hello or thank you.
Members and friends are a rare jewel, indeed. They make you smile and encourage you to succeed. They lend an ear, they share a word of praise, and they always want to open their hearts to us.
In a few short weeks, we will be turning the page to a new calendar year. Please take a moment to reflect on the mentoring activities that have taken place in your Auxiliary thus far. Mentoring in general has no specific beginning or ending date. However, the Mentoring for Leadership Program does when it comes to submitting an entry for awards! Please review the criteria and entry form for the Awards for Auxiliaries and start gathering the information to be submitted. If your Auxiliary has not implemented a mentoring program, it’s not too late to get started!
AWARDS FOR AUXILIARIES
- Most Outstanding Implementation of a Mentoring for Leadership Program.
- Citation to every Auxiliary that implements a Mentoring for Leadership Program. Entry form (required) available at www.vfwauxiliary.org/resources. Auxiliaries are to send form to their Department Chairman by March 31, 2020. Department Chairmen are to send form to National Headquarters by April 30, 2020. Citations will be mailed directly to Auxiliaries.
- Citation and $50 to one Auxiliary in the nation for the most outstanding implementation of a Mentoring for Leadership Program.
May the good times and treasures of the present become the golden memories of tomorrow. Wishing you lots of love, joy, and happiness during the holiday season and a magnificent New Year!