2019-2020 National Membership Ambassador
Membership is a TEAM program!
It takes every one of us working together to get the word out on what we do and why we do it! Let your current members know how much you appreciate them. Take a moment to thank those members who are working hard or send a card to a member that you haven’t seen in a while. Let’s keep this Membership growing!
Invite – Include – Invest
Spring is almost here and it’s time to make your PLAN. It’s always a prime opportunity to INVITE (recruit) NEW Members! Remember Membership is a 24/7 program.
Here are some ways of recruiting new members:
- Ask someone …”Get you ASK in gear!”
- Bring a guest to meetings
- Advertise in newspapers and on cable TV
- Have a booth at malls, fairs, festivals, etc.
- Place pamphlets in doctors’ offices, hospitals, cafeterias, libraries, etc.
- Host an open house
- Service projects that serve a need in the community
- Invite family members to join
- Send letters to people in the news with an invitation to visit the Auxiliary
- Print Auxiliary business cards with Auxiliary meeting location and time
- Hold wine and cheese receptions for prospective members
- Have a special guest day
- Make prospective members feel important
- Honor outstanding community members with awards
- Make some meetings social events
- Build an Auxiliary website
- Create more fun
- Lead by example – how many members have you recruited?
- Have members give talks at other organizations
- Send newsletter to members and guests
- Bring your co-workers to an Auxiliary meeting
- Have new member kits
- Have incentives for recruitment
- Recognize new members in newsletters
- Pass out M&M candies to remind members that “Membership Matters” and that we need “More Members.”
National Headquarters has been fielding a lot of questions on eligibility recently. Please know you can refer to Sec. 101-Eligibility of the 2020 Podium Edition, Bylaws and Ritual for information. Make sure you know what documents are accepted to prove a potential member’s eligibility. The following are accepted:
- Separation Document/DD214
- Orders of various types, including:
- Travel Orders
- Medical Orders
- Morning Report
- Assignment Listing
- Records showing hospital file or imminent danger pay
- Photograph of veteran in a war zone
- Any proof that is acceptable to the VFW
Here are other options to research eligibility:
- Request Military Records – https://www.va.gov/records/get-military-service-records/
- Request Discharge Upgrades – https://www.va.gov/discharge-upgrade-instructions
- Archives – Search Historical Military Records – https://www.archives.gov
Congratulations and Thank You to the eight (8) Departments that qualified for Membership Department Award #2 ($500) for attaining 100% Plus by January 31, 2020.
Reminder: Those members inviting (recruiting) five, 10 and/or 20 new or rejoins, please complete the Member Recruiter Form for the plumeria membership pin. Thank you for your efforts in making our organization grow stronger to support our veterans, their families and our communities.
“Alone we can do so little. Together we can do so much.”– Helen Keller