2019-2020 National Membership Ambassador
How to Answer this Question: “Why Should I Pay My Dues?”
When you contact members who have yet to pay their annual dues, you may be asked the following question or receive the following response:
- “Why should I pay my dues?”
- “I don’t use the Post, can’t get to any meetings or functions.”
Here are some answers for your reply:
- Tell them they are eligible to receive various insurance and service benefits – including cancer grants – with their membership.
- Tell them how their local VFW Auxiliary benefits from their membership.
- Tell them how their local community benefits from their support of the VFW Auxiliary.
- Tell them how their membership is a way to support veterans, service members and their families in local legislative battles and on Capitol Hill.
- Tell them ways they can be involved behind the scenes. Ex: Make phone calls, prepare food or do crafts at home to assist the VFW Auxiliary
Membership – Invite, Include, Invest
A VFW Auxiliary can maintain its active status with continuous members, however they cannot grow without new members. A membership campaign for new and rejoin members must be conducted to replace those who die, move out of town or drop out of the VFW Auxiliary for other reasons. The best method of convincing those eligible to join the VFW Auxiliary is personal contact. Below are three ways to invite and include to grow your Auxiliary.
Look for New Members: Ask for referrals. If any of your VFW Auxiliary members know of others that are eligible to join, make a list and form a committee to contact these potential members. Know the facts about eligibility and the workings of the VFW Auxiliary.
Find Members to Rejoin: Check past and present membership files. Compile a list of names, addresses, phone numbers and emails of members who have not paid their dues in prior years.
Contact Annual Members: Start a telephone round up to collect continuous dues. We must never forget our members. A simple phone call can be the personal contact someone needs. Talk with them, get reacquainted and remind them they are a vital part of the VFW Auxiliary. Encourage them to help with upcoming events or functions by asking them to use their talents.
Membership Matters: As you recruit new members or rejoin any that may have strayed away this is your INVEST-ment in your Auxiliary. Growing a strong, healthy and prosperous Auxiliary to assist and be a partner to their VFW matters.
Membership Award Update
As of November 20, 2019 the following Member Recruiter Awards have been sent to members:
- 52 Red Plumeria Pins (For VFW and VFW Auxiliary member who recruits five (5) new and/or rejoined members to the VFW Auxiliary from July 1, 2019 through April 30, 2020*.)
- 11 White Plumeria Pins (For VFW and VFW Auxiliary member who recruits ten (10) new and/or rejoined members to the VFW Auxiliary from July 1, 2019 through April 30, 2020*.)
- 4 Blue Plumeria Pins (For VFW and VFW Auxiliary member who recruits twenty (20) new and/or rejoined members to the VFW Auxiliary from July 1, 2019 through April 30, 2020*.)
The awarded pins listed above total for 450 new and/or rejoined VFW Auxiliary members! Have you earned a Member Recruiter Award? Fill out the Member Recruiter Award Form and submit it to National Headquarters by May 31, 2020 and show off your Plumeria Pin. Haven’t earned a Member Recruiter Award yet? Get your ASK on and recruit!
Membership recruiting is a 24/7 program. It takes TEAMWORK! Check out the Conference versus Conference Awards. It’s not a bonus or perk, BUT a THANK YOU for a job well done. Besides, what Department can’t use a little extra cash? As of November 26, 2019 the Conference standings are as follows:
- West – 90%
- South – 89.51%
- Big Ten – 87.49%
- East – 85.09%
Each Department within the Conference with the highest percentage by January 31, 2020 will receive $50.00!
See pages 38-39 of the 2019-2020 VFW Auxiliary National Program Book for a detailed listing of Membership Awards for Members, Auxiliaries, Department Chairmen and Departments.
Visit the Membership Recruitment & Retention Resources page of the National website for the Member Recruiter Award Form and other Membership and Retention information.
Mele Kalikimaka and Hauoli Makahiki Hou!
Merry Christmas and Happy New Year!