2015-2016 National Legislative Ambassador
Legislative: What is Action Corps and How Do I Promote It?
Questions for the Ambassador:
Q: Where do I find the “Get Out the Vote” posters?
A: They are available from the VFW Store. Go to the National Auxiliary Website. On the home page, you will find the VFW Store link.
Q: How do you prefer to receive correspondence from the Chairman?
A: Email or USPS; either are fine. When using USPS, please do not send certified or registered mail.
During the Legislative Program seminar at National Convention, I discussed the importance of increasing subscriptions to the VFW Action Corps Weekly e-newsletter. The VFW Action Corps is the VFW’s national grassroots advocacy network comprised of VFW and Auxiliary members, and patriotic supporters of veterans. Members of the VFW Action Corps stay up-to-date on the issues facing our veterans, our military and their families, standing ready to email, write, call and visit our nation’s lawmakers to make their voices heard. The VFW Action Corps is free and open to all patriotic Americans who care about the military and veterans’ communities.
VFW Action Corps members receive:
- The VFW Action Corps Weekly, an easy-to-read electronic newsletter that highlights the VFW’s advocacy efforts on Capitol Hill.
- Immediate access to a nationwide database of contact information for all elected officials, a congressional directory.
- Regular VFW “Action Alerts” telling them how they can get involved when our nation’s veterans, service members, and their families need their voices heard on Capitol Hill.
At the seminar, I challenged all members to begin thinking about ways to market the VFW Action Corps Weekly beyond the doors of our Auxiliaries. Your Conference Chairmen have some great ideas!
- Print and distribute business cards directing the reader to the VFW website with sign-up instructions.
- Start a challenge within each Auxiliary to obtain the most new subscriptions. Extend the contest state wide.
- Sign up family members and always have sign-up information at every community event.
- Play the video tutorial and distribute the Action Corps Weekly Recipe Card for other community groups or meetings.
Mr. Bob Wallace, Executive Director of the VFW Washington Office, has asked that the Auxiliary increase the subscriptions to the VFW Action Corps Weekly e-newsletter. I assured him that we would do our best. I look forward to hearing from each of you on how you are marketing the Action Corps Weekly beyond the doors of your Auxiliary!