2020-2021 National Legislative Ambassador
Veterans Advocacy Continues
We began this Program Year with a commitment to be pro-active and effective advocates for our veterans, service members and their families. Now, as we near the end of this Program Year, it is a good time to look back, reflecting on achievements and to look forward to a new Program Year.
I would like to extend my personal thanks to our VFW Auxiliary National President Sandi Onstwedder for her dedication, passion and faith as we grappled on finding new and innovative ways for us to fulfill our mission to honor our veterans despite this unusual and very challenging year. Working together with our VFW Comrades, we were a force multiplier with an effective voice and presence on Capitol Hill. We will continue the legacy of being the voice of our veterans, advocating for our service members and their families.
When we began this Program Year, I challenged each of our Auxiliary members to do the following three things to help us become pro-active and effective advocates for our veterans, service members and their families:
- BE AN ADVOCATE – Join the VFW Action Corps: Every VFW Auxiliary Member is a veterans’ Advocate! Help build our grassroots advocacy network by joining the VFW Action Corps. By growing our advocacy network, we help shape public perception and influence our elected representatives to honor promises made to our veterans by supporting legislation to improve their quality of life.
Following are useful links for your info and use:
- Sign-up online for the VFW Action Corps: https://votervoice.net/VFW/register
- Find Elected Officials and Contact Info in your State: https://votervoice.net/VFW/Address
- Know the Legislative Issues: https://www.vfw.org/advocacy/national-legislative-service
- Find and listen to the House Veterans’ Affairs Committee Hearings: https://veterans.house.gov/events/hearings
- Find and listen to Senate Veterans’ Affairs Committee Hearings: https://www.veterans.senate.gov/hearings
- BE INFORMED – Know and familiarize yourself with our 2021 VFW Priority Goals: These goals reflect the resolutions passed and supported by the men and women of the VFW and its Auxiliary. Use these brochures to educate your legislators, VFW Auxiliary members, families and community members. Doing so will enable us to advocate with one voice for the legislative issues that the VFW is fighting for this year.
Following is the link to the VFW National website for you to download/print the brochure: https://www.vfw.org/-/media/vfwsite/files/advocacy/prioritygoalsbrochure.pdf
We need to let our lawmakers in Washington, D.C., hear our voices to help shape, protect and preserve benefits that support our veterans, service members and their families. If they do not hear from us, they will make the decisions for us and we will have to live with the consequences of OUR inaction! Let your voice be heard and make a difference!
- BE ENGAGED – Use the VFW and VFW Auxiliary Legislative Tools and Resources: The VFW and VFW Auxiliary have worked very hard to help educate and prepare their members to actively and knowledgeably participate in the legislative process. Be visible and involved in our communities.
Once again, I am privileged and humbled to serve as your National Legislative Ambassador. Thank you for all that you have done and continue to do to improve the quality of life of our veterans. Please continue working hard in advocating for our heroes. Keep in mind that the work does not stop because we are finishing up the Program Year. We are also laying the foundation for next year’s VFW Auxiliary leaders. We can look forward to the new Program Year with confidence, hope and resilience. We have made a difference and will continue to do so in the coming years!
I look forward to seeing all of you at our National Convention to celebrate another remarkable Program Year! Remember, “Every Day is Veterans Day,” and “No One Does More for Veterans®” than the Veterans of Foreign Wars and its Auxiliary that has “Unwavering Support for Uncommon Heroes®.”
“HONORING OUR MISSION TO SERVE VETERANS”