2015-2016 National Legislative Ambassador
Guidelines for Contacting Your Legislators
As reports come in, I can see that many of you have promoted and worked the Legislative Program. As we approach the election of officers and the appointment of new chairmen, our work within this program should not cease. Instead, we should continue to visit with and contact our legislators as the advocates and voices of our veterans.
The VFW Washington Office has provided guidelines for contacting your legislators. I have summarized some of those guidelines below and hope they will help you in your continued efforts.
- State the purpose for writing in the first sentence of your correspondence.
- If your letter pertains to a specific piece of legislation, identify and address it correctly:
- House bills are H.R. _____.
- Senate bills are designated as S. _____.
- Always be courteous and polite.
- You may include personal information about why this legislation is important to you.
- When corresponding with the Chair of a Committee or the Speaker of the House, address them as follows:
- Dear Mr. Chairman or Madam Chairwoman
- Dear Mr. Speaker or Madam Speaker
As always, I thank you for all you have done and all you will continue to do for this program, our organization and our veterans.