2019-2020 National Hospital Ambassador
Six Ways to Celebrate Thanksgiving with Veterans in Medical Facilities
I hope you enjoyed honoring our veterans with parades, ceremonies, luncheons and other events over the weekend. It’s important that we honor our veterans and their families every day, not just on Veterans Day.
At this time of the year, we count our blessings and express thanks for our freedom. Let our hospitalized veterans and those residing in nursing homes know we are thinking of them this Thanksgiving.
- Contact VA Medical Centers, veterans homes and other medical facilities and ask how you and other volunteers can assist during the holiday season.
- Ask what our veterans need while they are in medical facilities and gift them an item on their list.
- Treat residents to a slice of pie and a twist on classic party games. Thanksgiving Bingo, Pin the Feather on the Turkey, Gratitude Game and Feed the Turkey are fun games for all ages.
- Create a Thanksgiving craft they can display in their room. Visit the National Organization’s All About Fall/Thanksgiving Pinterest page for ideas.
- Show them you care! Sit down, share a smile and have a conversation with them. This simple act often lifts their spirits.
- Invite a veteran who is away from loved ones to share in your family’s Thanksgiving meal.
Veterans Voices Writing Project
- This therapeutic writing program is designed to acknowledge military veterans’ experiences and build self-esteem through creative writing.
- Volunteer to assist a veteran in writing a story, poem or whatever they wish to create and share.
- To learn more, visit veteransvoices.org, call 816-701-6844 or email email@example.com.
VAVS NAC Volunteer of the Year
Last year, the VFW and VFW Auxiliary were honored to have members from our organizations named as both the Male and Female Volunteers of the Year. William Talcott, a Life Member of VFW Post 9400 in Arizona and a volunteer with the Phoenix VA Health Care System, was named the NAC Male Volunteer of the Year. Mariann Hamann, a Life Member of VFW Auxiliary 7546 in Michigan, and a volunteer with the VA Ann Arbor Healthcare System, was named the NAC Female Volunteer of the Year.
Annual awards are given by the Veterans Affairs Voluntary Service National Advisory Committee (VAVS NAC) to one male and one female for Volunteer of the Year. The deadline is approaching for nominations. All complete applications and nominations must be in the hands of VFW Auxiliary National Representative Sandi Kriebel by December 2, 2019. No exceptions will be made for mail delay, etc.
Report! Report! Report!
You are all doing a GREAT service to our veterans in our VA Medical Centers, veterans homes, and all medical facilities who serve our veterans. Auxiliaries, please share your pictures with your Department Chairmen! I love seeing all the wonderful promotions, flyers and materials you have to share. The photos are priceless! If you have photos, submit them with your report. It is quite visible how hard you are working to assist our veterans and their families.
Keep up the good work “Serving Our Veterans with Aloha!”
May all of you have a happy Thanksgiving!