2018-2019 National Hospital Ambassador
Building on the VFW Auxiliary’s Hospital Foundation
We are halfway through the year; continue to build the strong foundation.
Thirteen bricks – VA Quiz Time
- Who are the VA Representatives and Deputy Representatives in your state?
- Do you know what their duties are?
- How many VA Hospitals and medical facilities are in your state?
Our foundation is solid!
Fourteen bricks –Say thank-you to doctors, nurses and staff. It is important to express reaffirmation of their constant contributions as they care for veterans. Thank You!
Fifteen bricks – a Hospital Guide and the VAVS Representative Guide for VFW Auxiliary Members is available from the website www.vfwauxiliary.org/resources.
Look at our level bricks!
Help Heal Veterans Therapeutic Craft Kits
Could you put this miniature stagecoach together from a kit? It requires concentration and coordination. That is just what a veteran needs. But, for some it is difficult while recovering from Post-Traumatic Stress Disorder (PTSD), a brain injury or other wounds. The man who built this did not have the use of his right hand. It’s beautiful!
“Here are some of the crafts I built. I look forward to the gifts from our supporters. It keeps my mind concentrating on the present and not the past. A working mind is a busy mind. Thank you for all the crafts you have sent. My pride and joy are the wagons!!! I do these without the use of my right hand. Shows what you can do when you put your mind to it! Once again, Thank You” – Leonard P.
For the past 100 years, arts and crafts have helped veterans fight the battle against PTSD. Heal Vets provides veterans with therapeutic arts & crafts to assist in healing and recovery.
From the website www.healvets.org
Request Kits for your Facility or Home Delivery
- Various craft kits that fall within four primary categories — woodworking, leather, painting and scale modeling.
- Absolutely free, including all shipping costs
- Heal Vets Kits range in difficulty from level 1 to level 4 (1 being the most simple).
- Comes with a thank-you postcard
- Staff will contact you to discuss your individual needs
- Information will be kept strictly confidential and will not leave the organization for any reason
Caregiver Support Line
Help is just a phone call away with VA’s Caregiver Support Line – 1-855-260-3274. Caring licensed professionals staffing the support line can connect you with VA services, a Caregiver Support Coordinator at your nearest VA medical center, or just listen if that’s what you need right now.
Support for Women Veterans
Women veterans can apply for VA health care enrollment and other veterans benefits they have earned by completing VA Form 10-10EZ. There are almost one million women veterans aged 20-49 years old and over one million aged 50+ years old. Apply:
- Online at 1010ezmed.va.gov
- Call toll free at 877-222-8387
- Write/visit a VA health care facility.