2016-2017 National Hospital Ambassador
Hospital: A Day to Change Direction
VFW Commander-in-Chief Brian Duffy and VFW Auxiliary National President Colette Bishop’s special project is Mental Health Awareness. On Saturday, October 8, the VFW, VFW Auxiliary, the Campaign to Change Direction and Give an Hour will partner for “A Day to Change Direction” across America. The goal is to change the dialogue on mental health for America’s veterans and American communities. Watch Commander Duffy’s video appealing to VFW Posts and Auxiliaries to participate in “A Day to Change Direction” here: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Io0Sae91pKE.
Not sure what to do or how to participate? Auxiliaries need not worry! Simply visit http://www.changedirection.org/VFW-service-project/ for steps to follow, suggestions for projects and downloadable materials to help you promote the campaign. There is even a sample agenda (below) that takes the guess work out of how to host a project.
- Opening remarks/Welcome from VFW Post Commander/Leadership
- Briefly share about the VFW, VFW Auxiliary, Give an Hour, Campaign to Change Direction
- Recognition of Give an Hour clinicians/Volunteers or Campaign to Change Direction Volunteers
- “Five Signs” Awareness
- Awareness might be conducted by using talking points
- Awareness might be conducted showing the iMovie
- Awareness might be conducted by showing the PowerPoint Presentation of the Five Signs
- Awareness might be conducted by a Give an Hour or VA Clinician
- Service Project Instructions
- Conduct Service Project
- Photo Opportunity in front of the completed service project
- Share photos with the Change Direction
- Share photos on social media using #changementalhealth, #VFWPostPride, #VFWAuxiliary, #VolunteerForVets
- Thank attendees/sponsors/others who helped to host the event
If your Auxiliary is unable to conduct a community awareness event that day, they are encouraged to choose another date this fall that works for them. For example, October is a very busy month for my Post and Auxiliary and it’s not feasible for us to host an event on October 8. In fact, there’s something happening every single weekend that month. However, we found a morning that will work for a breakfast program. The event is scheduled from 8:00 – 10:00 AM and we’re planning for a 20-minute presentation, which will leave lots of time for a question and answer session, breakfast and fellowship with our guests. We’re calling it “Start Your Day to Change Direction – Understanding and Coping with Military PTSD.”
Be sure to share photos from your Auxiliary’s “A Day to Change Direction” events on social media using #changementalhealth, #VFWPostPride, #VFWAuxiliary and #VolunteerForVets. National Commander Brian Duffy and National President Colette Bishop are looking forward to seeing photos of events across America!