2018-2019 National Historian/Media Relations Ambassador
At the beginning of our Program Year I commented that I hoped to inspire members to use the resources available to them on the National website, www.vfwauxiliary.org. With this information we have the ability to make the VFW Auxiliary more visible, boost our image and increase interest in our organization. As a result, our communities will want to get involved because of the work we are doing. This brings us to two outstanding projects:
- Community Outreach
The month of March was designated as Community Outreach month. Let’s continue this wonderful concept. Consider the advantages of speaking to organizations in the community and how this sharing of information regarding VFW Auxiliary can be of benefit.
- Raise public awareness about veterans and veteran’s issues.
- Increase visibility of the VFW Auxiliary and our mission.
- Form relationships and partnerships with other organizations, groups and businesses.
- Define our purpose, clear up misconceptions and educate the public about our services.
- Recruit new members and volunteers
Our membership has been provided with all the great resources needed at www.vfwauxiliary.org/resourses .
- Family Freedom Festival
The goal of the Family Freedom Festival is to increase Auxiliary program participation and community awareness of, and involvement with, our National Programs. It is an event Auxiliaries of all sizes can implement in their communities.
- Auxiliaries are encouraged to host a Family Freedom Festival sometime during the 2018-2019 Program Year (July 1, 2018 – June 30, 2019). THINK SPRING!!!!
- Involve every National Program.
- If you don’t have a Post Home, consider hosting your Auxiliary’s Family Freedom Festival at a local park, community center or other gathering place.
Again, I will refer you to www.vfwauxiliary.org/resourses for all the information you’ll need:
- What Is a Family Freedom Festival and What Are We Supposed to Do?
- Steps to Participate and Event Ideas
- Sample Press Release and Social Media Posts
- Donation Request Letter
- Family Freedom Festival Logo for printing and for Web or Social Media Post
The Family Freedom Festival is a family-friendly, all-ages opportunity for your Auxiliary to show your community what the Post/Auxiliary offers and how you positively impact your community.
Be sure to report your Auxiliary’s Community Outreach and Media Relations efforts to your Department Historian!
- Auxiliaries: Complete and Submit Community Outreach Project AUXILIARY 2018-2019 YEAR-END REPORTS to your Department Historian by May 1, 2019.
- Departments: Complete and Submit the Community Outreach Project DEPARTMENT 2018-2019 YEAR-END REPORT to me, the National Historian, by May 15, 2019.
AWARDS FOR AUXILIARIES:
- Citation from National Headquarters to every Auxiliary that contacts and conducts at least five (5) Community Outreach presentations in their community.
- Auxiliaries to send Auxiliary Report Form to the Department Historian/Media Relations Chairman by May 1, 2019.
- Department Historian/Media Relations Chairman to send Department Report Form to the National Historian/Media Relations Ambassador by May 15, 2019.
- Citations will be mailed directly to Auxiliaries from National Headquarters.
- Citation and VFW Auxiliary Community Outreach Plaque awarded to one (1) Auxiliary in each of the five (5) Program Divisions for outstanding Community Outreach Project.
- Award presented to one (1) Auxiliary in the nation with the Most Outstanding Auxiliary Community Outreach Project. Winner to be announced by the National Historian/Media Relations Ambassador at the 2019 National Convention in Orlando, Florida.
- Department Historian MUST submit the most outstanding Auxiliary Community Outreach Project to the National Historian by May 15, 2019 for consideration of Award #2 and Award #3.
I BELIEVE we have what it takes to “Make a Difference”!