2017-2018 National Chief of Staff/Extension
Don’t wait for the calendar pages to turn to 2018 in order to make a New Year’s Resolution to become Healthy….Let’s start right now! Each year every Auxiliary faces new challenges, new opportunities and embraces new ideas that will become reality.
Please STOP…LOOK…LISTEN and become HEALTHY. Put into action the various tools available in the Healthy Auxiliary Toolkit.
STOP for a moment and reflect on the history of the Auxiliary, particularly your own Auxiliary.
- A rich past is invaluable for determining the priorities and goals the members set and achieved over the years.
- Through this reflection can come renewed energy.
- Reflection can be an effective way to plan for this year list of priorities to accomplish.
LOOK around your meeting room.
- Who is attending your meetings?
- Is it the same few members that always come?
- What is the age group in attendance month after month?
- Hopefully there is a mix of genders and generations. If not, why not?
- Look for ways to enhance attendance.
- This may include looking at a change in meeting date and/or time or meeting location if your Auxiliary does not have a Post home.
- Look for ways to attract and include members of diverse backgrounds and ages.
- It has been proven that the younger members and seasoned members can work together.
LISTEN carefully to what your members have to say.
- Not just in the meeting room on the meeting day/night, but even when working on a project or having a cup of coffee together.
- Consider new ideas, along with the ideas which you have done year after year.
- Listen for ways to enhance your meeting and participation.
- Listen for signs that a member may be experiencing a hardship in which the Auxiliary could provide support and assistance.
- Listen for the needs of our veterans and their families, as well as that of your community.
LEADERSHIP is being prepared for meetings.
- Review the Auxiliary To-Dos and Deadlines to assure important tasks are completed on time.
- Adhere to The Checklist will guide the President in his/her duties.
- Review the VFW Auxiliary Sample Meeting Agenda to assist in conducting and documenting an effective meeting.
- Set up a Healthy Communication Phone/Text Tree will keep your members well informed.
ENGAGE with members by sharing the Member Questionnaire.
- Keep it confidential! No names allowed on the questionnaire.
- Learn the reason why a person joined.
- Find out if they volunteer with other organizations, and if so, where and what they do.
- Ask if there are activities that could be added to engage member participation?
- Ask for input on meeting schedule, attendance and how to increase participation.
- Find out their vision for the future of the Auxiliary.
Locate the Healthy Auxiliary Toolkit on the national website, Program & Publicity Resources, Chief of Staff/Extension.
Remember to STOP, LOOK, LISTEN and be HEALTHY!