2016-2017 National Chief of Staff/Extension Ambassador
Four Ways to Keep the Momentum Going!
Since the beginning of our 2016-2017 Auxiliary year, the goals for Extension remain the same.
- Establish new Auxiliaries
- Maintain current Auxiliaries
- Mentoring program
So, how do we keep the momentum going?
- Encourage Bachelor Posts to allow a representative from the VFW Auxiliary to visit a Post meeting and explain the benefits of having an Auxiliary.
- Pay attention to VFW Auxiliaries who may need some assistance.
- Plan a visit to those struggling Auxiliaries to help identify problems or obstacles.
- Then, help them create a plan to return to a healthy state.
- Encourage all Auxiliaries to use the Member Questionnaire.
- Even if the questionnaire has already been used this year, the information gathered now may help identify a different problem.
- Encourage members to recruit new members and mentor current members.
- We have accepted many new members this year, but we need to pay close attention to retaining our continuous members. By doing so, we create balance in our membership. Having both seasoned and new members provide Auxiliaries with an opportunity for development and growth through mentoring.
There are many resources available to assist you while promoting the Extension Program:
- 5 Essentials of an Auxiliary Cards
- Starting a New Auxiliary Guide
- Auxiliary Traditions video
- Online Auxiliary Academy videos
- Podium Edition (Bylaws, Booklet of Instruction & Ritual)
These tools are available to all members and will help them gain a better understanding of our organization. The e-newsletter is another great source of information regarding events, major announcements and important reminders. If you do not receive the e-newsletter, sign up here: http://ow.ly/10bqBD
Please review the awards for the Extension program as listed in the National Program Book. Be sure you have submitted your information to meet required deadlines.
Keeping the momentum going is very important. Remember to stay positive and communicate and demonstrate healthy attitudes.
Thank you for all you have done and for all you will continue to do. You are making a real difference in the lives of our veterans and their families.