2015-2016 National Chief of Staff/Extension
Chief of Staff/Extension: Keep the Momentum Going!
Go, go, go!!! Everyone is so close to being 100%+ and some are already beyond that. We are so close to increasing our overall national membership for the first time in two decades. We can’t stop now. NOW is the time to keep the momentum going.
Some ways to keep up the momentum…
- There are several holidays coming up that are great opportunities to call members, invite them to come to an event or service project, get to know them and get them involved. Think about ways to get your members “jazzed” about the Auxiliary at events around the following holidays:
- St. Patrick’s Day (Thursday, March 17)
- Easter (Sunday, March 27)
- Vietnam Veterans Day (March 29-30)
- Gold Star Wives Day (Tuesday, April 5)
- Loyalty Day (Sunday, May 1)
- Send out the Healthy Auxiliary Questionnaire to all your Auxiliary members that don’t attend meetings, find out why they don’t come and do something about it! There are various reasons members don’t come to meetings, some of which are out of our control. But, adjusting things that we can control (like changing meeting days/times, providing childcare and more) often lead to increased participation and ultimately, a healthier Auxiliary.
- Call and/or write a note to members who haven’t been to a meeting for more than six (6) months and let them know they are missed and invite them to the next meeting and/or event. A call and/or note is more personal than an e-mail or text message and not everyone has e-mailing or texting available to them.
- Make mentoring a priority in your Auxiliary. Read the VFW Auxiliary Mentoring Guide and think about how you can be an effective mentor in your Auxiliary.
- In April, nominate members for officer positions within your Auxiliary who will volunteer for and positively promote the Auxiliary in your community.
There have been so many new Auxiliaries this year and I am so proud of all of you for doing a wonderful job! Since July 1, 2015, we have welcomed 24 new Auxiliaries!
Don’t forget about the Extension Awards! The deadline of March 31 is just three weeks away! Please read page 23 the 2015-2016 Program Book for further information.