2015-2016 National Chief of Staff
It’s April – Time for Auxiliary Elections!
Five Essential Requirements to Maintain Status as a VFW Auxiliary:
- Elect and install officers for the current year in accordance with Sec. 806A.
- Hold at least ten (10) business meetings per year and a quorum (five) members in good standing) shall be present. (See Section 210 and 212)
- Bond the offices of President and Treasurer not later than August 31 of the current year. (See Section 814)
- Quarterly audits shall be completed in compliance with Section 814.
- Dues shall be transmitted on at least 10 members by February 1 of the current year. (See Section 207)
April is a very important month for all Auxiliaries. Be familiar on voting procedures; see the Booklet of Instructions – Election of Officers or the Ritual.
- Auxiliary Officers shall be elected by written ballot, if more than one candidate.
This is the time of year to inform new members on how an Auxiliary works. Hopefully you will get your VFW Post members involved as well. We can work wonders by working together!
Remember – A member shall not be in good standing until their dues have been paid by June 30 to remain a continuous member.
- Prior year’s dues may not be paid after July 1.
- Any member who has not maintained continuous membership shall submit an application and be accepted in the same manner as a new member.
- Continuous membership begins again upon payment of dues.
Also, remember that when you institute an Auxiliary, it does not stop there! You or someone that you designate should follow up with those Auxiliary members and ask if they have any questions. Mentoring is not an overnight project; it is something that you stick with and nurture, and watch those Auxiliaries and members grow.
Every month at your meetings, read a few sections of the Bylaws to familiarize the new members and some of your longtime members. Go over the areas of:
- How to Drape the Charter
- Bringing a guest into the Auxiliary room
- How to proceed in opening and closing the Bible
- Different floor plans
Make it fun for all members attending; have a member not holding an office role play in the Chaplain duties. Maybe that will be their niche and show them how easy it is to take an office. That is mentoring – keeping your members interested and involved.