2017-2018 National Chief of Staff/Extension Ambassador
For the VFW Auxiliary, May is the month to reflect, celebrate and prepare to transition to a new Program Year.
Reflect! Take a few minutes to reflect on your year of membership in the Auxiliary.
- Were your expectations met of what being a member of this great organization represents?
- Did you participate or volunteer in some way within one or more of the various programs offered?
- Did you help create harmony within your Auxiliary membership?
- Were you a mentor to someone or on the receiving end of being mentored?
As you reflect, do you feel good about your contribution and attitude towards the Auxiliary and its members? Never lose sight of the ultimate goal – to be a positive contributor to the success of your Auxiliary.
Celebrate! As you reflect on the past year, it’s time to also celebrate the many accomplishments made.
- Acknowledge the excitement of growth in membership and granting someone new the opportunity to be a valued member.
- Share the success in completing one or more awesome projects which projected a positive image on the Auxiliary.
- Celebrate the new Auxiliary that joined your Department and don’t forget to celebrate the individuals that were involved in making this happen.
- Celebrate the many opportunities you were granted to create a positive experience or change affecting our veterans, families, active duty personnel and communities.
- Celebrate the exposure to patriotism and projects provided to the youth.
- Spend a few minutes at your meeting to celebrate your members and their accomplishments.
- While not a celebration experience in the closure of an Auxiliary, we must take time to celebrate the many years of service the dedicated individuals gave to the Auxiliary.
- Celebrate YOU, for if not for YOU, there wouldn’t be the Auxiliary.
Transition! In the stage of transition we cannot lose sight that we still have work to be completed for the 2017-2018 Program Year. Membership continues to need our attention and we must not give up the task of reaching out to those that have not renewed or potential new members.
We must pledge to mentor those individuals that have volunteered to hold an office or chairmanship for the 2018-2019 Program Year. Offer guidance, assistance, support and create a positive meeting environment.
Now is a good time to get reacquainted with the 5 Essential of an Auxiliary.
- Auxiliaries should have at least ten (10) business meetings per year. (Sec. 210)
- Dues should be paid on at least ten (10) members on or before February 1 of the current year. (Sec. 208)
- Up-to-date with submission of quarterly audits by Trustees. (Sec. 814)
- Officers elected, installed and reported to National Headquarters no later than June 30.
- The office of President and Treasurer MUST be bonded by August 31.
Remember the installation report due by June 30th. It is imperative that the section regarding meeting information be completed. You are required to supply the information for the following Officers –President, Sr. Vice, Jr. Vice, Secretary, Treasurer, Chaplain, Conductor/Conductress, Guard, Trustee 3, Trustee 2, and Trustee 1 to be completed in accordance with Section 802-Elective Officers and Section 803-Appointive Officers of the National Bylaws.
Congratulations to all that will assume office in 2018-2019. I hope you have an amazing year and accomplish great things.
Thank you! Thank you for sharing your time, talents, money and dedication to the Auxiliary and all that the organization represents.
Thank you for joining in the journey of the Extension program and reading the monthly blogs.
I hope you have experienced:
- the understanding of how valued YOU are;
- to remember to acknowledge an individual for a good job;
- how simple but powerful the words thank you can mean to a member;
- the importance of being kind to each other;
- to realize mentoring is vital to maintaining members;
- allowing each other to grow within the organization creates wonderful volunteers and leaders;
- to take a leap of faith by trying something new; and
- to continue to Catch The Dream For Our Veterans every day.
“The most rewarding things you do in life are often the ones that look like they cannot be done.” – Arnold Palmer