2020-2021 National Chief of Staff & Extension Ambassador
Auxiliary Presidents are conducting meetings on every level. They have made use of the valuable tools offered to them by the National Organization. They are following the Bylaws while conducting the meetings. As an Auxiliary President, have you ever had a moment where you wondered, “What was I thinking when I accepted the nomination and was elected to this office?” With this in mind, let us explore some of the answers.
Duties of the President on All Levels: Are you…
- Presiding over all meetings?
- Maintaining order during the meeting?
- Appointing all Officers who are not elected according to the Bylaws?
- Appointing all committees?
- Removing disruptive members from the meeting?
- Providing a financial report to your VFW within 30 days after induction into office?
- Providing a membership report to your VFW within 30 days after induction into office?
- Registering for the National Convention if you are attending?
Auxiliary Presidents: Are you…
- Proactively working with your officers and committees to ensure a productive meeting?
- Working with your VFW Post on joint efforts?
- Encouraging members to mentor those who may have questions?
- Asking members to assist the Membership Committee in recruiting new members?
- Overseeing reports to ensure that they are properly submitted?
- Ensuring that the Auxiliary is conducting business in a proper and efficient manner?
District Presidents: Are you…
- Conducting official visits of each Auxiliary in the District?
- Holding at least one District meeting each year for a School of Instruction?
- Acting as liaison between Auxiliaries and the Department President and Chief of Staff?
- Conducting an annual Memorial Service honoring deceased members?
Department Presidents: Are you…
- Issuing general orders or special orders as necessary?
- Seeing that all monies collected by the Department are forwarded to National if required?
- Approving all vouchers to disburse Department funds?
- Seeing that the Department Treasurer is bonded?
- Visiting each District at least once during the year?
- Including Draping of the Charter and Memorial Service for deceased members in your convention?
- Informing National in writing when requesting a suspension or cancellation of an Auxiliary?
- Notifying the District and Post of any suspension or cancellation of an Auxiliary?
If this looks familiar to you, great! This information is outlined in our Bylaws. Continue to understand the office of President by referring to the Bylaws and Building on the VFW Auxiliary Foundation guidebook. Access this valuable tool by visiting our Auxiliary website at www.vfwauxiliary.org/resources.
- Assign the proper organizer to a particular post.
- Follow up with the organizer to confirm that they understand their role.
- Follow up with the post Commander to address any concerns not covered by the organizer.
- Assign an aide to assist the new Auxiliary for a period of one year.
- Recognize new Auxiliaries in District and Department Functions.
Please continue to navigate the COVID-19 Auxiliary world. Thank you for confirming your commitment to our veterans and our Auxiliary by ensuring that business is conducted during these trying times. We pledge to continue Honoring Our Mission to Serve Veterans.