2020-2021 National “Buddy”® Poppy & VFW National Home Ambassador
It has been a challenging year. With these challenges came opportunities. Opportunities that allowed Auxiliaries to adapt, put on their thinking caps and develop alternative methods to the traditional “Buddy”® Poppy drive. What did your Auxiliary do to educate the community about the “Buddy”® Poppy? How did your Auxiliary promote the purchase of Life Memberships to the VFW National Home for Children? Your Department Chairman and I want to know! Tell us about the work your Auxiliary is doing — your Auxiliary may win a National award!
Please complete the appropriate National Program Award Form and send it to your Department Chairmen by March 31, 2021.
- Award #1: Most outstanding community education of the “Buddy”® Poppy
- Award #2: Most outstanding promotion encouraging the purchase of a Life Membership to the VFW National Home for Children
“Buddy”® Poppy Display Contest at National Convention
Displays will be presented and judged in three categories:
- #1 – Public Promotion of Poppy Campaign (Window, booth, parade, poster displays, campaign promotions, etc.)
- #2 – Memorial or Inspirational Display (Wreaths, memorial tablets or plaques, patriotic or devotional themes)
- #3 – Artistic or Decorative Use of Poppies (Post Home displays, table centerpieces, corsages, pictures, plaques, models, scenes, hats, novelty pieces, etc.)
- At least one Poppy used in the display must be in original form and color, with label attached.
- Departments purchasing over 250,000 Poppies will be allowed two displays in each of the three categories for the National Display Contest. All others will be allowed one display in each of the three categories.
- The Department Adjutant will have to notify the Programs Director, in writing, by June 30 of the Posts that will represent the Department in each category. This will allow us the time necessary to ensure each entry has sufficient space to set up at the National Convention.
See the “Buddy”® Poppy Chairman’s Manual for more information.
I have received the following questions:
Q.: How does a Department get paid for assembling “Buddy”® Poppies?
A.: Contact Lynn Rolf, Director of Programs, at VFW National Headquarters to learn more.
Q.: Can Anniversary Poppies be used in Poppy displays?
A.: Yes, they can, as long as one poppy is its original form and (red) color with the label attached is incorporated in the display.
I want to thank each one of you who support our “Buddy”® Poppy program and our VFW National Home for Children. We wouldn’t be Honoring Our Mission to Serve Veterans without you!