2020-2021 National "Buddy"® Poppy & VFW National Home for Children Ambassador
We’re six weeks into the Program Year and it’s time to ask ourselves two questions about the “Buddy”® Poppy & VFW National Home Program.
- Have you reached out to members of your community and let them know about the “Buddy”® Poppy?
- Have you contacted other organizations and let them know about the National Home, their Helpline and the services they provide?
Many veterans rely on the proceeds from our “Buddy”® Poppy drives. We must come up with ways to keep the “Buddy”® Poppy in the forefront so those in our communities know what this mighty little flower does to help veterans in need.
- Share the video “The Veterans Behind the Poppy” video on your Facebook page or other social media.
- Distribute “Buddy”® Poppies when hosting food/donation drives.
- Create table centerpieces that can be raffled off at a Post, Auxiliary or community event.
- Make a “Buddy”® Poppy wreath.
- Create a wall of remembrance at the Post Home or another community location.
“Buddy”® Poppies can be distributed anytime, not just at Veterans Day and Memorial Day. Upcoming patriotic holidays include:
- Marine Corp Reserve Birthday is August 29
- VJ Day is September 2
- Patriot Day is September 11
- Air Force Birthday is September 18
- National POW/MIA Recognition Day is the third Friday in September (September 18)
- Gold Star Mother’s and Family’s Day is the last Sunday in September (September 27)
If you can’t host a distribution, think of ways to acknowledge these special days with a “Buddy”® Poppy display.
The VFW Store has numerous “Buddy”® Poppy items that can be purchased to help incorporate the “Buddy”® Poppy in projects, programs and events.
“Together, in partnership with the whole family, the National Home is dedicated to helping each family reach its full potential.”
The VFW National Home for Children is open to families of active-duty military personnel, veterans and descendants of members of the VFW and the VFW Auxiliary. The family can be one or both parents with one or more children. The one thing that is asked of them is that they be committed to making positive changes in their lives.
I encourage you to watch this three and a half minute video about the National Home. It is wonderful and allows our members and communities to see the campus where families go to reestablish their lives.
Ways to support the National Home include:
- Gifts of 10 cents per member to the Auxiliary Health & Happiness Fund. The Health & Happiness Fund supports Christmas gifts, graduation gifts, maintenance of Auxiliary-sponsored buildings, and emergency repairs and renovations at the National Home.
- Purchase Life Memberships for $50.00 each. Life Memberships can be given as gifts or to reward members that go above and beyond.
- Purchase a Tribute Brick for $100.00 each.
- Donations of any amount can be made online: https://www.vfwnationalhome.org/donate.
- Host a fundraiser. Read about successful fundraisers for the National Home you can implement in your community: https://www.vfwnationalhome.org/ideas.
The VFW National Home for Children gets NO government funding and is reliant on donations from VFW Posts, VFW Auxiliaries and community members.
Thank you for your continued support of these life-changing Programs!