2021-2022 National Auxiliary Community Outreach Ambassador
‘Tis the Season to Volunteer
Have you planned to volunteer this holiday season? For some, this is a very difficult time of year. Many have lost a loved one, lost their jobs, are fighting depression or wondering how they will feed their family. Celebrate the season of giving by donating your time and volunteering with other organizations.
As an Auxiliary, consider the following Auxiliary Community Outreach opportunities:
- Volunteer with the local police department to deliver toys to children.
- Contact your local community clothing closet about assisting with collection and distribution activities.
- Join with the American Red Cross and volunteer to assist with programs to benefit the homeless population.
- Serve meals at a homeless shelter.
- Volunteer at an animal shelter during adoption events.
- Approach local nursing homes about volunteering at holiday parties.
- Work with Scouts to decorate and clean parks for the holidays.
- Meals on Wheels America is a community-based organization dedicated to providing nutrition and helping to eliminate isolation to the elderly. It supports more than 5,000 communities across the United States. Auxiliaries may consider volunteering in several ways:
- Helping to cook meals.
- Answering phones.
- Packaging meals.
- Delivering meals.
January 9th is National Law Enforcement Appreciation Day
National Law Enforcement Appreciation Day is an opportunity to support your local police and sheriff departments and highway patrol. To show appreciation and recognize the difficult and sometimes deadly job law enforcement preform to keep us safe, Auxiliaries are encouraged to:
- Partner with an elementary school, YMCA or other organization to help children make cards of thanks for local law enforcement officers.
- Serve at a community dinner or event honoring your local police and sheriff department(s) and highway patrol.
- Volunteer with an organization providing education about Project Blue Light and/or assist with distribution of blue light bulbs for community members to use in their homes or porch lights.
- Assist with a ceremony honoring fallen officers.
Thank you for all you’re doing in your community to brighten the lives of others!