2017-2018 National Americanism Ambassador/Patriotic Instructor
Understanding Auxiliary Traditions
The Patriotic Instructor teaches members the traditions of our Auxiliary Ritual, making sure all members understand the ceremonies of the VFW Auxiliary.
All members (new, seasoned and legacy) are encouraged to read “Understanding Auxiliary Traditions,” a guide to help all members learn about the VFW Auxiliary Ritual and the unique things we do at our meetings.
Entering a Meeting
- At a local Auxiliary meeting, you will enter the meeting room and once the doors are closed, all members must show a current membership card.
- At Department and National meetings, you will be asked to show your membership card at the door.
Raps of the Gavel
- One rap = Attention
- Two raps = Rise
- Three raps = Be seated
Attention & Parade Rest
- “Attention” in the VFW Auxiliary means hands at side, head up with eyes looking straight forward.
- “Parade Rest” means the left foot is moved slightly to the side while bringing the arms to the small of the back. Clasp the left thumb in the right hand. The head is bowed slightly during prayer.
Showing Proper Respect to the Flag
- During our Ritualistic meeting, the President will say “Salute” when the flags enter and leave the room, as well as when we say the Pledge of Allegiance and sing the national anthem. Salute the Flag by placing the palm of the right hand flat over the heart.
- During Auxiliary meetings, the heart salute shall be used at all times where the salute is used.
- A member who is also a veteran may use the military salute.
- When the Flag is displayed AND the national anthem is played and/or sung, all present should face the Flag and salute.
- When the Flag is NOT displayed and the national anthem is played and/or sung, all present should face the music and salute.
- Members should stand when the flags are moving.
Showing Proper Respect for the Altar & Bible
- Members will remain seated while the Chaplain opens and closes the Bible, provided the Colors are not at the Altar.
- Whenever the Chaplain is opening and closing the Bible, everyone should stop all movement and talking.
- Members will not cross between the President’s station and the Altar, as this is considered sacred ground symbolizing where our Comrades who have answered the final roll call are at rest. However, when the Bible is closed, members may pass through this area.
Addressing the President & Making a Motion
- All remarks must be addressed to the President and not by one member to another. A member wishing to address the President will rise and say, “Mister/Madam President,” but shall not speak further until he or she has been recognized by the President.
- Making motions is your right as a member. To make a motion, you should stand and be recognized by the President and then proceed.
If you have questions about the Ritual, please ask your Auxiliary, District or Department Americanism Chairmen/Patriotic Instructor and see the 2018 Podium Edition: Bylaws and Ritual for an in-depth explanation of the Ritual.
Thank you for displaying acts of patriotism on a daily basis. I wish you a very Merry Christmas and a Happy Holiday Season.