2019-2020 National Americanism Ambassador
Wow! What a humbling experience the Celebrating Americas Freedom Event at the National Memorial Cemetery of the Pacific was. Getting to honor those who sacrificed everything for our freedom with so many Auxiliary members and friends was an awesome experience. Moments like these make me proud to be an Auxiliary member and reassure me that we are doing the right thing by serving our veterans and their families.
Many of you have participated in the Americanism Program this year. You have:
- Visited schools, educated youth and promoted patriotism.
- Created Facebook accounts solely to promote patriotism on a social media platform.
- Hosted POW/MIA ceremonies out in the community.
- Helped the VFW in find a civic-minded educator for the Smart/Maher National Citizenship Teacher Award.
- Participated in parades and ceremonies during patriotic holidays.
- Promoted Americanism throughout your communities.
- Handed out American and POW/MIA Flags.
All of these wonderful events happened around the nation thanks to all of you who do all you can to ensure the preservation of our nation’s values and traditions.
Schools across the country are temporarily closed; some have closed for the rest of the school year. I want to thank you all for working so vigilantly in your local schools and communities teaching the values and traditions of America earlier this year.
I might sound like a broken record, but reporting is so important to our organization. We all work very hard all year long on our Programs. So many things we do can be reported. I want to make it as easy as possible for everyone when it comes to reporting. I feel the more we talk about reporting, the better prepared we are in knowing what to report and how to do so.
We report for several reasons, including:
- The IRS requires the organization to do so. If we don’t report, the organization loses its not for profit status.
- To provide information to use on a fact sheet, and on other marketing and recruiting materials.
The questions below are listed on the National Americanism Year-End Report your Department President will complete in May. Your Department may have additional questions to answer.
- Number of Auxiliaries that conducted special programs on patriotic holidays:(For example, Memorial Day, Veterans Day, POW/MIA Remembrance Day, etc.)
- Number of Auxiliaries that participated in POW/MIA programs:
- Number of POW/MIA flags presented (at least 2″ x 3″ or larger):
- Number of American Flags presented (at least 2″ x 3″ or larger): (Includes, but is not limited to, schools, businesses, parades, gravesites, etc.)
- Number of Auxiliaries that participated in the Smart/Maher National Citizenship Education Teacher Award (For example, assisting the Post, taking the contest into schools or making a donation.)
- Number of certificates presented to businesses or citizens in recognition of their displaying the U.S., POW/MIA flags or other displays of American pride:
- Number of Auxiliaries in your Department that promoted Americanism through any media? (Examples: TV, radio, newspaper, flyers, Facebook)
- Number of Auxiliaries that conducted patriotic education in their Auxiliary and/or community:
- Number of Auxiliaries that conducted a Family Freedom Festival:
- Number of Auxiliaries that submitted a video promoting patriotism with community involvement:
Remember reporting is just as important as doing the work, I know it’s not always on the top of the list when it comes to things needing to get done, but please know it is truly important and should completed soon after an event so it’s not get forgotten about.
Awards for Auxiliaries
- Most Outstanding Video Promoting Patriotism with Community involvement. Auxiliary entries are due to Department Chairmen by March 31, 2020.
Awards for Departments and Department Chairmen
- Citation to each Department Chairman for participation in this Program.
- Serving Our Veterans with Aloha Keepsake to one Department Americanism Chairman in each of the 10 Program Divisions who submits the best photo collage of a Family Freedom Festival. Criteria and entry form (required) available at www.vfwauxiliary.org/resources. Entry and entry form (required) are due to the National Americanism Ambassador by April 30, 2020.
- Outstanding Performance Award in each of the 10 Program Divisions based on criteria listed in the Program Book and for the promotion of Program Goals.
Review page 10 of the 2019-2020 National Program Book for more information. Thank you for continuing to Serve Our Veterans with Aloha during this time!