2018-2019 National Americanism Ambassador/Patriotic Instructor
Smart/Maher VFW National Citizenship Education Teacher Award
Do you know a great teacher? One who educates our young people about the Flag, democracy and civic duty? I hope you do and that you nominate them for the Smart/Maher VFW National Citizenship Education Teacher Award.
The deadline for the Smart/Maher VFW National Citizenship Education Teacher Award is October 31, 2018 and should be submitted to your local Post.
How Does the Contest Work?
- Based on the nominees submitted, local VFW Posts will recognize one outstanding teacher in grades K-5, 6-8 and 9-12.
- Posts then submit these winners names and required documents to their District-level judging, who will forward their winners to the Department (or state) level.
- After judging, each Department then forwards the names of its winners to VFW National Headquarters for consideration in the national awards contest.
Who is eligible?
- All current classroom teachers (teaching at least half of the school day in a classroom environment) in grades K-12 are eligible.
- Previous National VFW winners and homeschool teachers are not eligible.
- Nominations can be submitted by fellow teachers, supervisors or other interested individuals (not relatives).
- Self-nominees are not eligible.
How are teachers nominated?
- In 350 words or less, describe why you feel your nominee should be selected.
- Describe the teacher’s innovative teaching and resource development methods, as well as his or her dedication to education.
- Please submit your completed nomination form and signed essay to your local VFW Post.
- Visit vfw.org/find-a-post for Post locations or call VFW Programs Department at 816-756-3390 ext. 6287 to find the Post nearest to you.
What are the National awards? Smart/Maher VFW National Citizenship Education Teacher Awards include the items below:
- A national $1,000 Past Commander-in-Chief John Smart award for each of the top K-5, 6-8 and 9-12 teachers for professional development expenses.
- $1,000 award for each winning teacher’s school.
- Plaques for both the winning teacher and school.
- An all-expenses-paid trip to attend the VFW National Convention.
- Top 10 high school teachers invitation to attend a summer Graduate Seminar at Freedoms Foundation in Pennsylvania.
NOTE: Winners will receive a 1099-MISC as a result of their award and all-expense paid trip.
Before submitting the Smart/Maher VFW National Citizenship Education Teacher Award nomination form, please review the rules and eligibility requirements.
Again, the deadline for the Smart/Maher VFW National Citizenship Education Teacher Award is October 31, 2018 and should be submitted to your local Post.
“Sharing Wonderful Auxiliary Projects”
North Dakota Department President Wendy Schumacher shared a great S.W.A.P. idea! Wendy has a birthday coming up and she will be giving out as many “Thank You” coins as she is old! Photo ops will occur at as many “Thank You” events as possible – if they allow her to take a picture or if she remembers to take one! Great idea, Wendy!
PLEASE SEND ME YOUR S.W.A.P. “Sharing Wonderful Auxiliary Projects” ideas and I will share them in my promotions and blogs!