2019-2020 National Americanism Ambassador and Patriotic Instructor
Promoting Flag Education / Recognizing Displays of Patriotism
Aloha VFW Auxiliary Family!
Auxiliary Chairmen are doing a great job promoting the Americanism Program on social media. We are seeing more photos and videos of all the great work the VFW Auxiliary continually does for veterans and our communities, and reaching more people than ever before!
A large part of Americanism and demonstrating the patriotic spirit is respecting and properly caring for the United States Flag (Old Glory). The more I watch the news, the more I find that the Americanism Program is needed.
Flag etiquette should be taught to all Americans. Our Flag represents all Americans and has a long history. The members of our organization have spent more than a hundred years defending and honoring our nation’s most iconic symbol of freedom. Whether you’re looking for historic details of how the U.S. Flag came to be, or the rules and regulations that encompass her daily flight, Flag etiquette covers everything from proper display to acceptable conduct around this symbol of our great nation. We are here to ensure you can find information on the following Flag-related topics:
- Displaying the Flag
- POW/MIA Protocol
- Flag Disposal
- Official U.S. Flag Code
- Order of Precedence
- Correct Method of folding the U.S. Flag
- U.S. Flag History
Visit the VFW Store for brochures and booklets containing the information listed above.
Promoting Flag Education and Connecting with the Community
- Partner with your Post, local businesses, corporations, civic organizations, police and fire agencies to promote Flag education within the community.
- Record a video of Auxiliary members performing a skit on Flag etiquette and share on social media.
- Perform a POW/MIA ceremony in a public place where many people will be.
- Record a video of proper Flag etiquette and share it on social media.
- Conduct a Flag retirement ceremony at local schools.
- Recognize the businesses and homes that display our Flag. Present them with a certificate that can be purchased through the VFW Store: http://vfwstore.org/products/27830
Educating our youth about patriotism is an important step on the path to good citizenship. Please encourage members of your Auxiliary to volunteer in schools and educate youth on the importance of respecting our Flag…their Flag…America’s Flag!
- Volunteers can visit individual classrooms or do a presentation at a school assembly.
- Partner with the VFW to contact the school board and find events that you can attend and educate at.
- Work with student veterans at local junior colleges, colleges and universities to educate the community.
- Use resources from VFW Store (e.g. coloring books and literature) to have something the kids can read and touch. This will enhance the students’ experience and leave a positive impression.
Consider wearing a patriotic shirt or something with the VFW Auxiliary logo. Logoed attire is often a great conversation starter. It’s a great way to stand out, be noticed and an opportunity to talk about our organization or why you’re so patriotic.
Be sure to include your community, family and friends in all your special events and ceremonies. Let them help in the preparations and the hosting of events; the more the merrier.
Recognition of Outstanding Community Flag Display
Whether it’s a single individual or a local business, take time to recognize patriotism in your community; especially those who take time to display and care for our “Stars and Stripes.” It will reinforce patriotism in the entire community.
Here are a few examples of how to recognize patriotism in your community:
- Present certificates to patriotic citizens.
- Invite a person or business to your Post and have a celebration in honor of their display of patriotism.
- Create a video highlighting their display of patriotism.
- Purchase and present a new Flag to show gratitude for their patriotism.
- Use those cell phones! Take pictures and videos; share the great things being done in the community on social media.
Please get into the schools or youth groups with information on Flag education; respecting our Flag; Flag codes; displaying the Flag; the National Anthem; and Pledge of Allegiance.
Your hard work and dedication is greatly appreciated. Mahalo for all you do!