2017-2018 National Americanism Ambassador/Patriotic Instructor
Patriotic Ways to Remember and Support Veterans
Spring is just around the corner. How have you displayed Patriotism throughout this great nation? Listed below are several patriotic ways to remember and support our veterans:
- Host patriotic holiday parties for veterans, active-duty military and their families at your Post.Invite the entire family to come and join in the fun at your Post. Host a barbeque or other meal and include patriotic music, games for both children and adults, and fun decorations.
- Partner with other community organizations to reach more people.The more, the merrier! Join forces with other organizations in your area (Boy Scouts, Girl Scouts, mental health agencies, food pantries, etc.) to increase the services you can provide to veterans, active-duty military and their families.
- Educate youth about what it means to be a patriotic American. Partner with schools or host special events for youth. Include age-appropriate lessons and activities. You will likely not witness the impact of the teachings, but they can make such an impact; those children will remember the lessons and will be proud to walk up to a veteran and say “thank you.”
- Distribute U.S. Flags and/or present a certificate of recognition to a local business, private citizen and/or youth group for flying the Flag.Distribute flags to businesses, community organizations and schools that do not have a flag flying or provide a new flag to those whose flag is tattered. Present a certificate in recognition to those displaying the Flag or POW/MIA flag. They will be honored to be recognized for their American pride.
- Participate in a local parade.Who doesn’t love a parade? Passing out Flags to children, riding on a Post or Auxiliary float and marching with the colors are some typical ways to participate. Be sure to invite local media to attend these events! A picture or an article in your local newspaper reminds your community that the VFW Auxiliary continues to support our veterans and our communities with patriotic pride. Take the opportunity to remind everyone about the proper Flag etiquette at parades. Download “Flag Etiquette at Parades” from the Program & Publicity Resources page of the website under “Americanism” and hand it out at parades your Auxiliary participates in this spring.
REPORT! REPORT! REPORT!
The deadline for your Americanism Year End Report is quickly approaching. I’m sure each of you have promoted Americanism and patriotism in your Auxiliary. I can’t stress how important it is to report your hard work, not only for this program, but for all of our programs.
I wish you a Happy St. Patrick’s Day, a Blessed Easter and Happy Spring.
Thank you for what you do for our veterans on a daily basis. God Bless the USA!