2017-2018 National Americanism Ambassador
Americanism: 10 Ideas to Promote Patriotism in the Classroom
It is almost time for the new school year to begin. Now is a great time to contact your local schools and teachers and talk to them about patriotic education in the classroom. If you need ideas on how to get your local schools and teachers involved, and are not sure what resources are available to you, check out the list below and refer to “Veterans in the Classroom” pamphlet for more ideas.
- Teach students the Pledge of Allegiance and how to properly salute the Flag.
- Present them with Pledge of Allegiance bookmarks that are available for free download from the National Organization’s website.
- When students learn the Pledge of Allegiance, give them a Young American Award and a coloring book titled “I Pledge Allegiance to the Flag.” (both available from the VFW Store).
- You can also download and print out Flag Education for Kids from the Programs & Publicity Resources page of the National Organization’s website the Auxiliary website and talk about displaying and saluting the Flag, and proper Flag disposal.
- Read Ten Short Flag Stories and Flag Education Program. The “Fun Flag Facts” can be copied and distributed to students.
Grades 6 and higher:
- Host a Living History Presentation – Invite a veteran from your local VFW Post to share experiences from their military service with the students. There is no one better to the story of war than someone who has experienced it first-hand.
- Pass out the Our Flag: Things You Should Know brochure or the Etiquette of the Stars and Stripes brochure (both available from the VFW Store). Teach students how to properly fly and salute the Flag, and proper Flag disposal.
- Contact your local school(s) and ask if they need new Flags to replace tattered ones. Ask your local Post if they will share in the cost of replacing the Flags. You can then present them with a Flag Exchange Card and invite them to the Flag retirement ceremony.
- Invite your local Post members to join you in presenting the thirteen folds of the Flag. An Auxiliary member can read the thirteen folds of the Flag while veterans proudly fold the Flag. Have on hand to pass out to the audience the Flag Education Award Card available from the VFW Store.
- Take information about the Smart/Maher Teacher of the Year Award to your local school(s) and give them to the Principal for distribution.
It is time to get back to the basics and teach our nation’s future leaders the true meaning of patriotism. In doing so, we will create awareness among parents and educators about the importance of bringing patriotism to the forefront in the classroom and the community.